Why is my car still overheating?

15

Asked by Dec 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base Coupe

I have replaced the radiator cap putting the correct one on.  Replaced the thermostat also the water pump.  The frist thing that we did was flush the radiator cause some idiot had put the wrong coolant in there.  We have noticed that there will be coolant on the pan at the bottom of the engine.  Sometimes it even overheats with the heat on but there is no sign of the heater core going bad.  What else could it be?

2,155

odds on a pin hole leak on rear pipe where it goes into the bulk head above the in take manifold theses are the favourit spots that leak followed by a knackered thermostat gasket

575

The electronic fans may not be kicking on either. This is another common problem amoung these cars. Either not kicking on, or kicking on at a rather high temperature

5

the car may not be overheating the coolant temp sensor may be bad and registering as overheating

45

@ Alexander, If the fan isnt kicking on, what could be the issue? Im having that problem with mine not kicking on.

575

Generally its a relay. I have upgraded the whole system when it fails.

45

Yeah i checked all the relays and fuses and theyre fine, i checked to make sure the fan motor still works and it does but i still cant get it to work which is causing my car to overheat

31,125

Does it overheat while sitting still, driving, or both? If it's only overheating while driving then it's most likely the front air dam attached to the lower core support right under the bumper. The f-bodies are notorious for having that dam break on parking stops and they will overheat while driving. Anything over approx 25mph and the main fan won't kick on because the air flow caused by the moving vehicle is enough to keep it cool. Check under the front bumper for the dam, no dam, no air flow, it overheats.

15

okay thank you all we checked out everything it turns out there was a leak from a bad gasket it the water pump and also we had a failing head gasket which is now blown thank goodness we were at home when it did. Now our major concern is getting that fixed we can get it to ourselves so we our gonna try to repair it.. any advice?

31,125

If you are going to hold off for a day or two I can pull the exact procedure from Chiltons and copy and paste it for you with the head bolt torque sequence and the intake bolt torque sequence. You should be able to pick up all the gaskets and the head bolts for under $200. You have to replace the head bolts because they are what's called torque to yield and are non reusable.

im having the same problem with my 93 camaro v6.doesnt overheat when sitting .only over heats while driving .suggestions?i also noticed i have a water leak. Oil is good Radiator recently replaced No thermostat

31,125

Have you check the front air dam under the radiator?

10

Hey my 97 camaro keeps overheating and i have changed the relay, water pump, sensor, thermostat, but some one mickey moused my fans cuz they never kicked in so i have to turn them on manuel, but it still over heats

10

my overheating was because leaves got between the radiator and the AC radiator. Cleaned that out and it made a big difference. Plus I use only antifreeze in the engine. Water and metal don't mix. Hoses don't rot out as quick either.

10

i am having this same problem with over heating in my 97 chevy camaro 30th anniversary. we have changed the water pump, radaitor, temp sensor, fan relay, thermostat, hoses, heater core and we have even done a head test to see if thier was something happening thier and that test came back as passing mean no head issue. they were working till we just replaced the heater core and added a after market temp gage inside the car and now the fans are not coming on so what could be causing this now????? UGGHHHH FEEL LIIKE I CANT WIN WITH MY CAR AND IT IS REALLY STARTING TO HURT MY FEELINGS CUZ I LOVE MY CAR.