How do I check the timing belt ?

40

Asked by Aug 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM about the 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition

2007 PT Cruiser started up, stopped running. Won't start, has fire to the plug, haven't checked the fuel yet.

40

Checking the timing belt is easy. There's a plug at the top of the timing belt cover, just pull it out and look in. I just disconnected the fuel line on the firewall to check for fuel flow since I have no gauges, I had none. I never did find the fuel pump relay and had no meter to check things out properly so I just went on to the fuel pump, I have a great procedure on replacing it so that you don't need ot remove the tank, all of the lines. I like it anyway. You simply remove the rear seat on the passenger side. Measure 9 inches back from the center of the center seat latch on the floor. Mark and measure 9 inches back from there. Then just measure four and a half inches from the center on either side so you end up with a nine inch square. Use a side cutter ( I didn't have one so I used a cold chisel, the metal is pretty soft.) and cut three sides so you have a flap to raise up. There it is. Just unbolt and replace.. I know this sounds like a real procedure but it takes 15 to 20 minutes. Pump replaced in less that an hour. This is on Utube also if you are interested. This was the problem, started right up. I bought the complete kit, filter and new fuel sender. About $ 200.00, but they were also available without the sender for about $ 125.00. Hope this helps someone.