What is jumping time and why does it happen and how do you fix it 95 4.3l vortec 4wd

Asked by Grahargma Dec 16, 2014 at 04:56 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4-Door 4WD

Car was running then started sputtering and sounded like it was sucking air then died cat
get back running

94,625

Jump timing is when the timing chain becomes loose and may jump a couple of teeth from the gear. I doubt this is your problem. I have never had any vehicle jump a tooth. Usually they just break. Take off your distributor cap. Have someone hit the key while you watch the rotor. Did it turn when the engine turned? If so, your timing chain is not broken. If not turning, the timing chain is broke. Check your air intake hose that attaches to the throttle body. Did it come off or is there a large crack in it? I had one split and my car did the same thing. Just sucked air and died. The hose had split causing too much air flow. The car would instantly die out. Also check all your vacuum lines. Make sure all hoses are good. If all looks good, your fuel pump may have died also. The car will not sputter if the timing chain lets go. If you are getting fuel, then check for spark. Your coil may have failed also.

20

That is when the timeing chain or belts gets worn and it allowes the crank get out of time with the cam. It is time to replace the timing gears and chain

30

Does anyone know why my chevy blazer 1997 4.3vortex would die ,almost like it was running out of fuel but was full I replaced my fuel pump and tank, cleaned it as well also,blew the fuel lines out too got it back together yet nothing at all. I checked to make sure that if was fireing everything OK as far as I know. Does anyone know if the sprier injections would keep it from doing anything even with starting fluid