Is my engine totally wasted?

20

Asked by Sep 27, 2015 at 02:15 PM about the 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

Was driving on hwy 55+, not aggressive but needed to pass. 1st car I passed I felt the turbo kick in n was impressed, 2nd car I couldn't feel it, 3rd car the engine died right then, the low coolant light came on n temp went up. Pulled to side n all fluids were good. Car was towed to lot where I bought it 17 days earlier,the only problem I had was the security light coming on n having to wait for it to go off before it would start.

You call trying to pass 3 cars at the same time at 55mph+ not aggressive? That means you have to (by law) be going at least 10 mph faster... With a 21 year old car you have owned for 17 days and no way no how you know the characteristics of the car in that amount of time.

20

New to guru, don't know how to get back into my Q. I did not pass 3 cars in the same pass.. passed the 3 at different times, 15-20 mins apart. thanks for the answer?

Then I owe you an apology. I was thinking you attempted to pass 3 cars at the same time on a two-lane (one each direction) highway. I frequent such a road ...CA 395 and people don't obey the 55mph speed limit and if a truck or car is doing 55-60 that's not fast enough for them... as if they are going to get to their destination 2 minutes sooner by risking their own and others lives and passing....even over a 'double yellow' line with poor visibility. But it's not a turbo, it's a belt driven supercharger positive pressure induction system. But still 21 years old and you need to know how the car is going to respond, and in 17 days that is not going to happen. And your engine totally wasted? Depends upon how high rpm you got to and if it seems 'normal' now