What is wrong with my check engine light?

10

Asked by Jul 11, 2015 at 02:48 PM about the 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

I spent 2 hours this morning taking off the stubborn dashboard on my 98 Buick Riviera
to get to the light bulbs for the warning lights. I replaced the light bulb for my check
engine light (because my car failed inspection for that reason) and the light still won't
come on. I've already tried taking some of the bulbs that I know works and putting it
where the check engine light is and they don't work. All of these lights are on the same
circuit board. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

29,075

some things wont turn on the check engine light.....

10

I've just realized that my details could be confusing.. The check engine light won't come on when I start the car. All of the warning lights on the dashboard should come on for a few seconds and then shut off as a "bulb test" when I start the car.

75,775

It should come on and stay on with the key in the run position with the engine not running. If it won't check the printed circuit on the back of the instrument cluster for damage as well as the plug that plugs into the printed circuit. If all that is good a pro will have to use a scan tool to command the light on for testing purposes. The PCM completes the circuit to ground for the light to come on. HTH. -Jim