2007 MDX Clicking Noise Left Front

20

Asked by Feb 01, 2010 at 10:26 AM about the 2007 Acura MDX AWD Tech Pkg

Hello!
For 2007 Acura MDX (45k miles), I hear a clicking noise in the left front wheel when accelerating.
The noise has been there since day 1, now it is

coming up on warranty, so I figured I would have it resolved...

To reproduce:
1. Park the car
2. Turn ignition off.
3. Turn ignition on.
4. Back up for about 30 feet.
5. Drive forward
6. Noise comes around 20mph, regardless of whether acceleration is quick or smooth, first gear
or second, wheels turned or not.

I was told this is a VSA system calibrating itself... To me it does not sound like a valid answer - I
have not hear this same noise in other MDXs

(2007 or newer), or Odyssey....

Suggestions?

THANK YOU!

15

SYMPTOMS OF CV JOINT FAILURE ***Popping or clicking noises when turning. This almost always indicates a worn or damaged outer CV joint. (To verify this condition, place the vehicle in reverse, crank the steering wheel to one side and drive the vehicle backwards in a circle (check the rearview mirror first!). If the noise gets louder, it confirms the diagnosis and the need for a new CV joint or replacement shaft assembly.) ***A "clunk" when accelerating, decelerating or when putting the transaxle into drive. The noise comes from excessive play in the inner joint on FWD applications, either inner or outer joints in a RWD independent suspension, or from the driveshaft CV joints or U-joint in a RWD or AWD powertrain. The same kind of noise can also be produced by excessive backlash in differential gears. To verify the condition, back the vehicle up, alternately accelerating and decelerating while in reverse. If the clunk or shudder is more pronounced, it confirms a bad inner joint. ***A humming or growling noise. Sometimes due to inadequate lubrication in either the inner or outer CV joint, this symptom is more often due to worn or damaged wheel bearings, a bad intermediate shaft bearing on equal length halfshaft transaxles, or due to worn shaft bearings within the transaxle. and yes its best to have professionals done repair/install especially when its vital. if the cv were replaced with wrong parts, wrong lubrication, or put in wrong, it can cause injure and/or death. (ex:wrong lubrication led to excess wear and tear, causing alot of damage. months later, axle breaks causing accident, kills driver.) BUT make sure u read up enough about what the problem is so that you dont get screwed by mechanics, they cant charge you extra for parts you dont need or dont need upgrading if you already know right?

30

Hey again this is dru I own a acura mdx 2006 I took the vehicle to the dealer and complained about clicking noise at 20 mph. They check vehicle and told me it is the torgue converter. so get it check

30

hey again I've been hearing and reading on so many issues with brakes clicking and transmission failling on early 2001 to 2003 MDX that i cross my finger hoping this is not the case. I hope this is the only issues I have. And when they replace Torgue converter which is located inside the transmission. I hope my problems is solve. You can get other opinion by going to www.carsurvey,.org/reviews/acura/mdx/r49531/comments

30

www.carsurvey.org/reviews/acura/mdx/r49531/comments

20

It turned out to be an easier thing... Acura tech actually showed me. There is a technical bulletin that says that in the 07+ MDXs, traction control and ABS systems calibrate when vehicle reaches 2nd gear. They purposely did it at that speed, so that the clicking (calibration) would not be heard. I guess, I hear sounds only dogs do :)