How to increase top speed of 2004 Buick Regal GS

Asked by Dec 27, 2010 at 01:37 AM about the 2004 Buick Regal GS Sedan FWD

The specs, backed by my experience, says top speed is governed at 108 MPH (It has a nasty cut off at that speed).  Is there an easy to replace or circumvent the governor?

Thanks, JD

The best way is to just take the govenor out of the car, any shop should be able to do this. then if you want more horsepower I would put a chip in. these increase horsepower, and fuel efficency.

You will need to purchase a Power Programmer as these cars do not have a "chip". Summit Racing can hook you up. you simply plug this handheld unit in and it guides you through the process. Very user friendly. You can change shift points, top speed , etc. If you are thinking off changing boost output make sure not to go to large with the pulley (pulley on supercharger must be changed) as this leads to spark knock aka detonation due to lack of fuel. is a very good source of info for these cars. Hope this helps. JW

Joey, I appreciate your on the money response. I do a fair bit of work on my cars (2004 Buick Regal GS, 2002 Buick Regal LS, 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT, and 2004 Toyota Sienna LS) such as changing brake rotors and pads, and have worked on engines and transmissions in the past (when they were easier to get to). But this is my first foray into engine management. I went to various sites and it looks like the Hypertech 32002 is what I need to remove the top speed limit. (I was on a long stretch of road and racing a Mini Cooper S when the engine cut out at over 100 MPH. I looked it up and saw the governor limits top speed to 108 MPH). The best price appears to be from "Truck and Winch," which sells them on "Amazon" for $325. I downloaded the instructions and the procedure seems pretty straight forward as long as you start with a fully charged battery and follow the checklist. It seems odd that you can only program one vehicle at a time (you have to restore the "done" vehicle back to stock before you can reprogram another one). It doesn't matter 'cause I just want it for the Regal GS. Just for kicks I looked up one for the Subaru 2.5 XT, which is pretty hot to begin with, and the power programmers are really expensive - over $800! I guess I can live with the Subaru for the time being! I will let you know how it goes with the GS reprogramming. Thanks again, John

No prob John, hope that helps you out. The reason they only give you "one reprogram at a time" is so one does not purchase a programmer and pass it around to all his friends who generally have the same type car. That way everyone has to purchase one! Bummer I know. Keep me informed. Joey

I have just bought a 2000 LS BUICK REGAL 3800 SERIES ll, wanna know how I can get frm 200hp, to round bout 300hp???