1997 Chevy Blazer not getting fuel

Asked by Dec 29, 2013 at 08:16 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Blazer 2 Door LS

The other day I was unable to remove the key from the ignition, the key would not turn back to the of position to where I could remove the key. The truck sat for a day and a half until I removed the plug under the steering wheel and pushed up on the switch and removed the key. After sitting that long, basically with the key in the accessory position, of course the battery was dead. I jumped the truck with another vehicle and now it will crank over, but won't catch and turn over and start. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it will run until the starting fluid evaporates or burns off. Does anyone have any idea what I could check next to get this thing running? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Yes...get a NEW battery....clean the main 1/0 ground cable to chassis connection with a wirebrush and re-assemble to provide the solid cranking amps and the milliAmp requirements of the ECU...the lightbulbs need SOLID ground and the headlights too~

101,535

Also with the key getting stuck in the ignition switch you could have an issue with the ignition switch itself. If it's not making all the proper connections your vehicle will not start and run properly.

Thank you both for your help and quick responses. I'll try what you've suggested. To dandyoun, is there a way I can test and repair the ignition switch you talked about in your answer? I know those switches are pretty expensive and I hate spending a lot of money on the truck if there is anyway I can avoid doing so. Thanks again guys!!

101,535

www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GNXdPEkMc -- check this out. I don't advise doing as this gentleman did but video should give you some ideas. Also this is for a 2000 jimmy but yours should be vary similar.

101,535

Also read on blazerforum.com about other owners having similar issues with the switch. Seems this is a common problem with your model. Some say spraying contact cleaner in the switch helps it to start vehicle properly but that it's only a temporary fix.

dandyoun, I've tried the contact cleaner but to no avail. I do have a question for you if you don't mind and that's, as I said in my original post the key was left in the accessory position for about a day and a half, do you think it's possible that the fuel pump has now burnt out? I'm under the impression that in that key position, voltage is sent to the fuel pump, am I right about that?

there is a "magic button" that restores fuel pressure...will cut the fuel if there's an impact~ it's located under the carpeting near the rear seat, or near the kick panel...will investigate...momentarily~

https://www.google.com/search? q=1997+Chevy+Blazer+inertia+switch&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=tf HBUsX7AqaIygHV7IHQCw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1152&bih=627&dpr =1.25#q=1997+Chevy+Blazer+fuel+pump+inertia+switch&tbm=shop

you see if the bumper gets tapped...it immediately SHUTS off the fuel~

hooray for me...I feel pretty good about remembering this feature~

hey judge roy, Thanks for all the time you've spent researching this problem for me!!! I had asked another poster here, dandyoun, if he thought that since the key was left in the accessory position for a day and a half, if there was a possibility that the fuel pump may have burnt out? What is your opinion, if you don't mind that is? You've already went above and beyond as far as help is concerned!!

judge roy, i haven't checked the inertia switch you've spoken about yet, but I will. In your opinion if there hasn't been any sort of bumper contact and the truck has just been sitting there will the inertia switch still come into play or is that just for collisions?

any sudden shudder....perhaps a large speedbump~ take that cover off and press it with the ignition on~ and voila~....one might think~

yeah, of course because the alternator wasn't feedin' the thirsty battery...it starved...just charge it up...some quick chargers can bring you up to full in four hours...enough for a while...till the alternator catches up...perhaps the "quick charge" if the alternator is healthy and the battery is newer than five~

judge roy you had me cracking up with the hooray for me post!! Listen I don't want to be any more of a pain in the neck as I have already with this problem, but as far as the location of the inertia switch you've told me about, you had said that it is behind the rear seat, would that be on the drivers side or passengers side? I'm just trying to get a firm idea in my mind exactly where to look for it.

dandy is trying to work his way up to TOP guru...he will pass me in points if he keeps on this path~...but if there is fuel in the tank...the fuel pump will NOT burn up dandyoun...isn't gonna happen that way~

seems to be the passenger side there~...you know while you were away...the guy who moved the truck coulda slammed into it with his hummer...no one would have known...if you were jammed in the ACC position...the fuel system was ALIVE and said "Cunk" and turned off~ perhaps dandyoun was onto the ignition switch....LOCK-EASE with graphite is the product that I'd have suggested, but probably should replace the switch if defective~

there's like a tiny hole in the 7:00 position on the steering column...turn to ACC push a coat hanger or small screwdriver in that and you'll be able to PULL the lock cylinder OUT~

just some of my art from before cargurus started soakin' up all my creative juices~

the 'Little Champ' 1958 vacation trailer that we brought from Lake Ellen, Wisconsin in 1989~ (to California)~

I'd LOVE to see you...could you put an avatar on your home page...please~!

https://www.google.com/#q=1997+Chevy+Blazer+ignition+switch

DAMN, I screwed up....that picture is from a mercedes....lookin for the right picture...gimme time~`

are there three switches in the glovebox...1996 has them one is for fuel pump~

96 Chevy Blazer What are the 3 relay switches located in the glove box for? In: Auto Parts and Repairs, Chevy Blazer Answer: one of them is the fuel pump relay hope this helps ,PS neb Left to right - 1. Fuel Pump Relay 2. Horn Relay 3. Fog Lamp Relay

Hey judge roy, Right on the money my friend with that damn inertia switch suggestion!!!!!!!!! I was pulling my hair out(what little I have left that is) trying to solve the problem! If you're like me the one thing I despise is having to spend money for someone else to fix things and I will do all that I can to prevent that from happening! Thank God there are people like yourself that are willing to help those of us who may not have the experience that you do out of the kindness of your hearts!!!! You're quite the artist I see, just one of your many talents right? Those three relays in the glove box are what you said they are with the one closest to the driver being the fuel pump relay. I can understand the science behind the inertia switch, but I think that it's just too sensitive don't you agree? I'm not sure how they set those things, for what amount of force is needed to activate them, but I do know that whatever had set mine off wasn't much more than a hard thump maybe by the idiot next to me with his car door. Hey listen problem solved WITH YOUR HELP and I don't discount anything DANDYOUN has suggested and I appreciate his help as well. You guys are the best! Take care and have a safe and healthy New Year.

the Hyundai had NO inertial switch...break out the marshmallows for a fire- roasted vehicle~

dandyoun, I just got one of your answers in my inbox and you said, that I had said, you had told me it was a fuel pump issue?? I never told anyone you had said it was a fuel pump issue, so I don't know why you're coming down on me for something I never said!!! Go back and read the posts and tell me where I had said that? let me know