1997 Chevy. s10 Blazer LS

10

Asked by Mar 27, 2016 at 12:12 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4-Door 4WD

I have 1997 chevy s10 blazer LS with a 4.3L vortec
it wouldnt start cause it wasn't getting fuel after
the fuel pumped was chamged and it died driving
at 60.  Started when tow truck got there And I
changed the ignition spider now I'm getting fuel
and it will crank and spit like it wants to  but still
won't start. What else could it be ??

76,235

So, you replaced the spider lines, injectors and fuel regulator as a hole unit? Otherwise I would take out the Ignition Control Module and have it tested at Auto Zone.

76,235

Pull the ignition coil also and have tested at the same time. That is if the hole injection assembly was changed out.

10

I just changed the spider nothing else. Because it wasn't getting gas to the intake now its getting gas to it.

76,235

That is a waist of time and money on the 4.3L Vortec. This motor is notorious for the injector assembly going bad. Since they have redesigned the spider, injector assembly to last. Doing a patch job without even knowing what the problem is with out a fuel pressure gauge, may and may not work. If it did work you MIGHT get 6 months out of it. So do you want to know what to do err what?

10

Ya I just need to to start so I can selling it its got new radiator new fuel pump new spider injector the fuel regulator is on the spider itself . I've used started fluid to try to make it start still nothing. It cranks over and tries to start but it just doesn't ? Any ideas

76,235

Well we got to start eliminating things. First off you can check the spark out of the coil to see if it is a white, blueish in color. Then look at the distributor cap on the inside to make sure there are no burn marks along the path the spark would travel. If all is looking good there, then you will need a fuel pressure gauge. Sound good so far?

10

Ya I gotta check user the cap for burns but I know its getting spark and its like a bluish color

76,235

Ok sounds good, then you gotta know what going on with the fuel pressure. #1 cause of problems on the 4.3L Vortec. So hook up the fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the intake. Cycle the key on, off a few times to build up the pressure to the highest point. Should fall between 56 to 63 lbs. With the key off, let her sit for 3 minutes, and watch the fuel pressure gauge. It should not drop off more than 5 lbs in 3 minutes. If it does there is still a problem with the either the injectors, spider lines, or fuel regulator. They have redesigned this assembly and would need to be put in as a hew hole unit for best results.

10

OK and if that don't work ?

76,235

Ok, read threw the posts again to pick up on anything. You said you sprayed starting fluid down the throttle body and it didn't fire off. Just spit and sputtered. If there is a problem with the fuel delivery system, the starting fluid would still have made the engine fire off until it ran out. So now you know what to look for with the fuel system. First I would do my first suggestion and have the Ignition Control Module checked and the coil. Maybe get a new cap and rotor also. It should have started up and died with the starting fluid.

76,235

Say I have to go have Easter dinner for 1:00 here. I'll check back later this afternoon. Try and check some things out in the mean time if your not tied up today.

10

Ok thanx bro

76,235

Any progress? 4:30 eastern at the moment.

10

I had that checked and its fine also when I try to start (while ots cranking )it the oil pressure will be up at operation temp. So wat else could not make it start

76,235

Other than the fuel pressure, could check to see if there is power to the injectors.

10

I'm getting compression just not starting could it be just the cadallic concevter is clogged ?

76,235

So you were driving at 60 mph when this all started? How was the motor acting when you were slowing down? Its possible the cat may be involved. May just want to drop the inlet end to see if it starts.

10

I wasnt driving my buddy was and he said" when it hit sixty it wouldnt go no faster so he floored it then it just died later in the day he came back to tow it and it started drove 15 at like 15 miles per hour feet and died again ."it just had a new fuel pump put a day before

10

And when I crank it it's barely pushing me exhaust out the muffler tip

76,235

Man I'll tell ya, everything we have talked about could have caused your problem. Like I said need to start eliminating things. What you described yes the cat could be a cause, so just drop the inlet side of the cat and try to start.

10

OK thanks bro I'll let u know how everything goes

I'm having same problem I read something u said about dropping inlet, with cat part of problem....well I know I haven't tried that.....but what r u speaking of

76,235

Hello lady, if you vehicle still runs, a way to check the catalytic converter would be to get the vehicle warmed up, take it for a drive, then park in a dark spot and get out and look right away at the cat, if it is plugged up, it will be glowing orange, - red hot. Depending on how plugged it is.