ticking noise from top of engine

Asked by Aug 02, 2007 at 02:06 PM about the 1994 Volvo 850 GLT

My 2.0L 20V 850 GLT saloon, has been sitting idol for the last 2 years. I am replacing all brake rotors,pads,calipers and handbrake cable. I put a new battery in, and it started first-time. I only ran the engine for a couple of minutes, as there is very little fuel in the tank, but there was a reasonably loud ticking noise from the top of the engine. I suspect it's the valve lifters. Will an engine flush and new quality oil, possibly resolve this noise ?

44,205

A stuck lifter is a possibility. Did you change the oil before starting the engine after the 2-year sitting period? A good engine flush or perhaps some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil change might clear this up.

Thanks for the advice,unfortunately I have not changed the oil yet, I checked all the levels, and they were fine. Planning engine/radiator flush, Brake fluid and power steering fluid renewal.