Driver's side power seat in state of "permanent decline" :(

Asked by Nov 08, 2010 at 06:44 PM about the 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

Hi. My Volvo 850 drivers seat works OK when trying to go forward/back or up/down, but the recline button will not work.  I hear the motor running but no movement.  The seat is far too reclined and now it seems to be reclining more than it used to.  

This weekend I tried Tech's fix involving heating the ends of the seat cable and pushing them in further but it didn't change anything and I am not sure that the cable is the problem.  Can anyone out there in the interwebs tell me how to proceed from this point when it comes to troubleshooting this problem?  I suppose the transmission could be shot? But before ordering replacement parts hopefully there is some way I can determine what the problem is because at the moment I don't know if I should order a new cable or a new transmission or what to do.  

Thanks in advance to any of you smart, mechanically inclined individuals that are willing to point me in the right direction.

Shane in Alabama

55

The cable is a 99% of being the problem if you get someone to operate your switch will you push the cable into the gearing at the lower left of the back rest you may be able to sit it up futher

65

Try a replacement Module from Ebay seller 240salvage. I just got 1 for a reasonable price, instead of replacing/trying to figure out which of the 3 motors went bad. Works like a charm now !

Thetazjagman, after ou bought the part, how did you replace/install it?

You* I have a '90 760 Turbo, but the button to more forward and backward doesn't work and I can't troubleshoot the problem because the Volvo dealership won't look at car older than a decade. So if I. Can find the replacement module that would be great but how to actual install it , how did you do it?