Miata Battery

15

Asked by Feb 27, 2009 at 01:28 PM about the 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition

I was  just told that the  only  diffrence between the  batery in my miata  and my lawn tractor are the  posts is this true the  price for a miata  battery is $120 and the tractor bat is  $25  seems like a  rip to me  if this is  true

205

I just replaced the battery for mine a little over a year ago don't remember paying that much but, Autozone isn't showing a price for it. Looks like the one from Autozone has the best warranty. http://www.autozone.com part# 8AMU1R http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5660&parentid=0&stocknumber=25-16000 http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_Autocraft-Silver-Battery_339_R|GRPBATTAMS__battery___ http://www.gomiata.com/wessealbat.html http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=73049

45

*******ATTENTION MIATA OWNERS******* You would be much better off by switching to an eyelit. Using a battery that has a nut 7 bolt terminal. First, make sure that you have enough slag to cut off your old ones and it stretches enough to meet the new battery's configuration. The MX-5 battery is nothing more than a glorified U-1 Lawn & Garden battery with an automotive top post terminal. By switing to the eyelit (e.g. aftermarket side-post adapter.)you can purchase a battery with 400 CCA for around fifty dollars. I went the professional route and paid for a soldered copper lug on my cables, that cost me about 26 bucks at Interstate Batteries in Minnesota. It's pretty slick and I've been using Lawn Mower batteries for about 6-7 years now. Under good maintaince a battery in the MN climate last about 5 years. I've had ZERO problems.

30

Wrong, the original battery is a packed cell battery and does not emit battery fumes which can cause problems with the trunk contents. You know what battery acid can do. I've had mine 7 years now and it just now needs replaced. Remember you have it in an enclosed space where you put clothes bags, etc and the battery fumes can affect the trunk contents. Thee OEM battery is worth the difference. Respectfully Joe Willis

190

Good call zoomergal. Also, remember your fuel tank in right below the belly of your trunk, as well as your fuel inlet hose and egr hose runs through the trunk... The gel cell battery is important for safety from fire and explosion.

110

I've used various batteries in my '90 Miata. They go dead all the time. Any great suggestions for a better battery?

10

I have a Fiat Spider that has the battery in the trunk and its a regular battery. I've never had problems with battery fumes. I don't think that stuff about battery fumes means much, especially since most batteries are gel filled. My Miata battery won't last through winter. Its an annual maintenance item.

Its not so much the "acid fumes" that is the problem; it is the hydrogen gas (H2) that is generated when recharging a battery. You don't want a sealed trunk compartment full of hydrogen....ka- boom!....Oh the humanity!