Our headlights on our 95 Miata will come on, but the engine will not turn over.

Asked by Jul 09, 2013 at 11:17 PM about the 1995 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base

When you turn the key, it doesn't even click - there's not anything at all, but the headlights work.

Is it a dead battery? start there- don't let the headlights fool ya- a better test is the horn- that draws a lot of juice

Michael Kane

Check your battery, the cables and your grounds where the negative cable attaches to the car body.

Michael Kane

Miata's have small batteries and are usually only good for a few years, so it may be time for replacement. I always go with the OEM battery from the Mazda dealer they always keep one instock. Just remember the battery is in the trunk.

I agree with my comrades - don't just look at the battery, remove and clean the cables and posts, take it and have it tested and recharged if needed. The other things that I can think of right now are crummy aftermarket alarms, Clutch and /or Neutral Safety Switch, starter and/or starter solenoid. Start simple, basic and common - the battery.

Even though you've got an 18 year old car, The MX-5 Miata is a rock solid and well built car, so I'd be surprised if it were much more than needing a new battery ....I don't plan on my 2011 MX-5 THAT long, but I know it'll be running just fine long after I sell her!

Shayne Jowett

Did you try turning the key in ignition several times? I have an electrical problem to the starter with my '97 Miata where I need to do this. The 4th or 5th turn will start the car, with no sound on the previous attempts. I've swapped out the starter, but the problem persists.

There is one other place that you might want to look that hasn't been mentioned, that is the starter itself, the wires from the ground and the positive can also get corroded and cause a lack of power to the unit itself. If you turn the key on, do the dash lights come on? If they do, check that starter. Good Luck

Thanks for all the help. We did have to get a new battery and the main fuse was out.