I put way to much oil in my 2006 Mazda 3 (2.3L) engine by accident and didn't realize it. I fixed the issue I think. what should I do now?

Asked by Jun 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM about the 2006 Mazda MAZDA3 s Touring

I only drove about 2 miles before I noticed plums of white smoke coming from my exhaust. I turned
around and drove it back. I drained all the oil and replaced it with the correct amount. It seems to run fine.
but it idles just barely more rough than before. and very thin and small amounts of white smoke still come
out of the exhaust when idling. is this just residual from before or should I no longer drive my car?

236,975

You might have effected your gaskets with the added pressure, the rough idle, look at your PCV, it might clogged. Your best bet is take it to a decent engine mechanic and have them look it over for you for piece of mind if driving it is a good thing at this point. Good thing you caught it early and only drove 2 miles.

1,145

Depending how much you overfilled it, Tom may be correct, gaskets and seals might be or become an issue. If just a little, I wouldn't worry. You did catch the mistake and corrected it quickly, which is very good. There may be excess oil built up in the PCV or EGR system that should clear itself out on it's own.

awesome! thank you for your help. I took it to a mechanic my friend uses and he looked it over and said everything checks out. and was nice enough not to charge me for the look. the rough idle smoothed out and everything seems to be functioning back to normal. Thank you!