Noisy, very noisy fuel pump

Asked by May 07, 2016 at 10:56 AM about the 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Camper Passenger Van

We had to replace our fuel pump -- age related, and got a bosch pump and now we have NOISE; not a rattle or anything just plain NOISE.  We have a '91 Westy in great shape.  I know this is common but has anyone FIXED this problem?

10,865

is the noise only when the car is running ? are you sure its the pump?

Yes, only when the van is running and the only change is the new fuel pump. Thoughts? We've heard Bosch pumps are noisy, but surely everyone doesn't put up with this! If I had to describe the noise, it's a relatively high pitched grind. Gas tank is fairly new, same with fuel filter (which is brand new).

10,865

well then my thoughts is you got a faulty replacement fuel pump. have then send you a new one and see if that fixes it. If you bought it at a shop take it out and get it swapped and hope that was the issue.

thank you, thank you. I think that is what we will try.