Two Fuel filters?

Asked by Jun 07, 2013 at 01:19 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

I am replacing the fuel filter on a 1986 VW Vanagon GL and I notice that there is a white
plastic box in the fuel line before the main fuel filter. I have been told that some Vanagons
have two fuel filters. Does this one and is this white-ish box in the line the other one?

Thanks for any help

237,875

The fuel filter should be on the passenger side under the door area. I would think there would only be one. Can you open the box to see what is in it?

4,655

The smaller white filter Is a cheaper one that can be replaced more often So that you don't have to replace the expensive one As often. Please check out Vanagon.com. It's a great community of Vanagon enthusiasts with a lot of tech advice.

20

I know this reply is a bit late however I wanted to reply. Prior to 1986 (maybe late 1985) VW used the small white square fuel filter and it was in line before the fuel pump (between the tank and the pump) 1986 and later used the larger metal canister type of fuel filter and it was placed after the fuel pump (between the pump and the engine). Folks with pre-86 Vanagons will often upgrade to the newer larger metal can filter. Some decide to leave the plastic filter in place as well. When the do that I've most often seen the plastic square filter pre-fuel pump and the metal canister filter post-fuel pump. I've never seen both filters on the same side of the pump. I would guess what you are seeing on your van is the work of a previous owner. It's OK that both filters are there - but that was not the stock set up.