2001 VW Golf 1.8T won't shift into drive until 4,000rpm.

10

Asked by May 28, 2014 at 01:05 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Golf GLS 1.8T

Hello, I just purchases this VW, has 175k miles but runs perfect and was shifting
smoothly until yesterday...check engine light came on and now appears to launch from
2nd gear, hard to say for sure...it makes one shift and won't shift to drive until I accelerate
to 4,000rpm, also downshifts from drive too soon, just below 2,000rpms. One check
engine code indicates speed sensor, another code for gear ratio...I was told the 2nd code
could be result of the first, but I don't find anything online that mentions how the speed
sensor could cause shift problems or the symptoms I describe...it starts and runs great,
but there is a clear electronic or CPU issue causing the shift problem. Any suggestions or
opinions?

5

Im having same issue did you find the solution?

10

Yes, replaced the output shaft speed sensor...$100 from VW...it's a bit more complicated to get to on top of the tranny than the other speed sensor as you need to remove the air box, then a tranny/motor mount, then with a jack lower the tranny slightly as the sensor sits flush below the mount...the harness on mine was worn really bad, no coating left in some parts and I imagine was coming in contact with metal...once you replace it be sure to clear the codes again and it should be fine.

10

Also, when I contacted VW for the sensor, they ended up holding a speedometer speed sensor and apparently the 2 sensors on the tranny they actually have labeled as speed senders rather than sensors so be sure they give you the correct one...if looking at a diagram, facing the motor it will be the one a few inches to the right of the other...I got lucky and picked the right one when buying it, thought it might be the other I needed but they didn't have it in stock so I thought I'd replace the one I did to see if it was the one and once I removed the original I could see how bad it was...

10

Hey i have the same problem what should i do i have one code that says P0715 transmission input speed sensor g 182 circuit malfunction Another one says P0722 transmission output speed sensor g195 no signal

10

And when i put it in D it reps too high n wont shift