Oil pressure light on

Asked by Jan 03, 2016 at 01:45 PM about the 1999 Volkswagen Golf 4 Dr GL Hatchback

My car brings the blinking oil light on at random
and intermitently intervals during driving.
Some tyms just two blinks some times for almost
a minute and then disappears for 30mins or
completely during the rest of the journey.some
days it doesnt blink at all. It does not blink at any
specific RPMs sometimes 1500-2500 and even
disappears at over 3500. And never goes on during
idle even at revs over 4500.
With that i also occasionally experience rough idles  
from 900 to 1400. What could be the issue.

69,485

Check your oil level first and change the oil and filter. You may have a bad oil pressure sender or a loose connection at the sender. How many miles on the car? Your engine may be worn and actually have low oil pressure.

Best Answer

148k i had reassembled the engine already with new crank,oil pump, engine bearings piston head rings etc the the lower block, problem occured 360kms 23 days after recent service, the engine was reassembled 4months ago i still running well apart from the warnibg light and rough rpm. I have also changed the oil filter since the problem, also note i did a 5000km 20w40 oil...and am noticing alittle leakage on the oilfilter compartment seals. I have also added motor honey to thicken the oil but still no change

69,485

Hopefully all the work you had done was done properly and not at fault. Replace the oil pressure sender and see what happens. You can also use an analog oil pressure gauge to check the oil pressure. The rough idle concerns me though. Did you replace the spark plugs and wires when you rebuilt the engine?

Nope i did not could be the spark plugs, i may need to do an analog pressure guage see if its fine before i do the pressure switch change...for the rough iddle could be spark plugs coz when i am at 120-130km/h i smell smthing close to unburned fuel from inside.. Had also read of PCV could be part of the problem