Clicking noise from left front end of 1995 eurovan camper

Asked by Apr 16, 2014 at 08:11 PM about the 1995 Volkswagen EuroVan 3 Dr Campmobile Passenger Van

My eurovan has 155000 miles.  I get a metallic rhythmic clicking noise from the left front
end after driving for 2 or 3 hours also the front wheels vibrate at the same time.  The
vibration and noise go away when the van is cool.  This noise seems to come on when
climbing a steep road

Sam

4,795

If you've never serviced your CV axles, that's where I would start. Your best bet would be to order replacement axle assemblies from a reliable parts store and replace them both. CV problems are usually loudest when turning. Does that ring a bell? Hard to say about the vibration issue...but, while under there, check out your ball joints and tie rod ends.

250

Scott is right on with his diagnose, I would say.

4,795

Incidentally, if you're going to do the work yourself, it will be a good time to replace those bits...the ball joints and tie rod ends will be loose and accessible during the procedure. I recommend getting a Bentley manual for reference if you plan do wrench often on your VW. If not, there are tons of YouTube videos and forum discussions on the process. There are some specific tools you will need. The bolts securing the CV joints to the transaxle require triple square bit. You'll also need larger sockets up to like 22 or 24 MM. Extensions. Pipe wrench, clippers or cutters, screw driver (pry bar), hammer, jack and stands. LOTS OF PAPER TOWELS. THIS IS A MESSY JOB. I've done this job a couple of times...not rocket science.

4,795

Once finished, you will need a front end alignment.

250

I am not involved in this job right now, but have done it before and sure appreciate scott's detailed advise to you. So often answers are poorly written and show little insight. Way to go, scott! Yes, a bently manual is important for procedure and torques.

4,795

Oh, right...and you'll need a torque wrench!

Thank you all for the great advice. However does anyone have any ideas why it happens after I've driven 2 to 3 hours

4,795

it's possible that the heat from driving just thinned out the lubricant in the CV joints