Windshield wipers motor

Asked by Dec 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

The wipers just quit. The motor hums and
if I pull wipers back the motor pulls them
back to normal down position
So I don't know if I need motor or trans
linkage. I would think it would be the
linkage??

I'm stuck in another state so I need help

74,715

Just check the wiper arms, they may be stripped since it is a spline that holds on to them. Take one off and try the wipers, if you see the little stub moving back and forth, then you know the arms are stripped out. Just may need new wiper arms.

Oh thank you so much I really appreciate it !!

What if the little stubs don't move?

74,715

Well then you have to look further, like you said the wiper arms moved down when you pulled back on them? Ok, then it is sounding like the wiper motor is weak, and then would need to be replaced. Could you grab a wiper arm and move it freely back and forth? Probably not but let me know. I just came back on line.

Best Answer Mark helpful

No I can't move them freely. Just if I pull them to the right but yhen the wipers are automatically pulled back to left

They just won't automatically pull themselves to the right

74,715

If everything feels tight in movement back and forth, sounds like the wiper motor.

Hmm well it'll go down on its own but not back up. So I'm scratching my head. Lol

74,715

If all the linkage is connected, and the wiper arms and little knobs are not striped out, and the wiper arms go back and forth uniformly with a little help, it has to be the wiper motor.

You're awesome. Ok Not to be forward but here's my number 540-219-7993 < good faith /trust thing Can I get yours if I run into a problem ? :)