IMy 1989 supra non turbo overheated the other day, a mechanic told me it would need a new set of gaskets , Anyone know cost of replacing them Cnd $

55

Asked by Nov 30, 2011 at 04:57 PM about the 1989 Toyota Supra 2 dr Hatchback

Does anyone have  the cost, I am assuming 1100.00, then is it worth it.The body is very good brakes good needs 2 tires, never winter driven interior 8/10 250 kilometers.I live in St. Cath ont Canada does anyone know a good mechanic for this job?

5

Mine was about 1200$ on my non turbo

2,475

Sounds about right for a head gasket. It's gonna be just one gasket since that motor is a straight six, and it may require a few additional gaskets like Valve Cover, Intake Manifold...whatever is non-reuseable. Head Gaskets are labor intensive, that's why the cost is so high with a relatively low parts cost. If it overheated though, how BAD? With a head that long, and I'm *assuming* iron block/aluminum head here, it's a possibility that the head itself warped when it was overheated. If it got to the point of boiling over and pegging the gauge out...like 240+ degrees...I would strongly consider sending the head off to a machine shop to be checked for level. It may need to be planed down. Definitely mention the fact that it did overheat to your mechanic because if that head did warp and it's not planed down with the new head gasket, it will surely pop the new gasket and you're going to be looking at doing the whole job over.

5

and you also want to make sure it didnt warp the head not sure how bad you overheated they are notorious for head gaskets beacause the heads are so long.

2,475

Read my second paragraph, right above you... Lol... But yeah, that's right. :P

5

Phil at Adrenaline Motorsports in Waterloo. This guy specializes in supras of all generations. I have taken mine there several times with great results and fair prices. adrenaline@gto.net

515

You should consider at this point what else to repair, replace, upgrade on this nice car. Water pump, thermostat, hoses, belts, etc. OK? Good luck.

55

Thanks everyone for your input.

35

The best thing you can do to make these engines last is by getting ARP head studs instead of the factory head bolts. Torque them down to 78ft/lbs and shes set. They came from the factory with the wrong torque specs on the head bolts. And another quick fix before the headgasket goes is to pull the valve covers and retorque the head bolts to 72ft/lbs. They came from the factory torqued to 58ft/lbs and thats the reason they go so often. Otherwise they are pretty tough engines