My 1989 Honda Civic will crank, but not catch

Asked by Apr 02, 2013 at 06:45 PM about the 1989 Honda Civic LX

Hi All,

so heres the skinny, I know I am not getting any spark at the spark pulgs, I checked. I have replaced the
coil, but this did nothing. the battery is good, and to my knowledge, so is the alternator and the starter.
Here's a few more details which may be pertinent: before the car died all together, for several days it
would run for a while, then it wouldn't start unless you let it rest for a while. then it started dying while it
was idling at lights, and wouldn't start unless you let it rest for even longer. finally, it just died while
driving and wouldn't start again. each time it died sooner after starting, and required more time to "cool
off". another detail, that may or may not count, is that the negative battery wire, at the battery terminal,
had melted through its insulation, it was hot. Oh, and the check engine light has been on for awhile, but I
checked the code under the passenger floormat, it was 17 blinks, which I believe is nothing of
consequence. OHH and there is a bit of oil in the spark plug cavities. Okay, i think thats about it. help
please!?

fix the conductivity of your negative cable, if it's toast go to pickNpull and get a different one. It did not have a good connection to the chassis, the engine did not have a good ground connection either, and probably still doesn't. will check the 17 winks now~

17 winks=The speed sensor is bad on your transmission...of no consequence, apparently~

get all good 300 amp electricals that are installed properly, use a fully charged battery that is newer than seven years old (don't like to accept charge after a while)~ Get it good...clean...new, then we can talk about your oil leakage problems~

21,085

try some seafome thru the intake, sounds like the cats are plugged,or pull a o2 sensor to let it breath and see if it runs to prove a plugged "Cadillac" converter,

1,155

1. your ignitor module is dead that is why your car probably isnt getting any spark that is my guess. 2. the reason you have oil in your spark plugs is because your valve cover gasket is gone pull out the plugs clean the top and change the gasket let the oil seep into the head its fine it will just burn off. 3. the reason your ground is melted its because you have a dead short somewhere (so the negative and positive terminals have direct line with very little resistance) that will cause the wire to get hot and melt the insulation off.my suggestion is take the wires off the terminals and then cover the terminals take a ohm meter and measure the resistance between the + and the - wire. if the number is low then you have a short if its 0 or infinite then its good