87 Camry 2.0 Manual Question About Engine Idle Dropping Down Low

Asked by Mar 21, 2010 at 01:49 AM about the 1987 Toyota Camry DX

Hello to all I have a 87 Camry 2.0 manual and have the following problem. Only when the car is extremely hot (been driving it a while) and then you turn off engine then try to start it again after 2 minutes or so the car will start right up but the rpm's will drop way low to 400 sometimes lower and sound like it will cut off. The problem so far is easily fixed by giving it a lot of gas then driving the car or turning the car off and starting it again. The wired thing is it only does it intermittently not all the time and only when the car is hot and has been driven a lot.
Things I have done to try to fix this. Taken off the EGR and try to clean it. It was so dirty I replaced with new EGR. After replacing the EGR it has only done the same problem 2 times again but not as bad as before replacement of EGR. However it still did it 2 times after replacing EGR which indicates to me there is another problem at hand here. The car also has a new radiator, starter, battery, alternator, thermostat, air filter, belts all, and a new radiator cap. Please advise and help me as to if someone out there on the forums knows what this problem is or has experienced a similar problem and what can be done to fix this problem. Thanks very much for you help.
Dave

11,845

Well you are on the right track with carbon I think. Next thing to clean :) is the throttle bore housing assembly. You have to clean both sides of the plate and bore, its probably not seating properly in the bore because of crud build up. Replace the PCV valve as it may be bringing to much engine residue into the housing Good luck

Thanks very much for your help. Can you tell me where is the pcv valve located? Also where is the Idle Air Control Valve located at? Thanks very much for your help. Dave