87 Camry check engine light On question about what makes light come on?

Asked by Mar 30, 2010 at 01:03 AM about the 1987 Toyota Camry DX

Hello,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed with 169k on it.  The car has a check engine light that comes on after a few minutes of driving it seems to be on a timer as it comes on after a couple of minutes not right away.  I need some help here as this is a older car.  What makes/triggers the check engine light to come on in a 87 Camry and what can I do to find out what is the problem?  Also I might add I saw a diagnosis plug near the battery under the hood I was wondering where can I get a device that will plug in there and let me know what the light means?  I guess I should 1st ask do they make a device like that for such a older diagnosis system on that car?  
Also is there a code system on that car like on my Honda where I can find out what that engine light means? Thanks so much for the help as I have no clue what to do 1st here or how to find out what is going on.
Dave

9,640

There is no single thing that always makes the light come on. You need to jumper terminals TE1 and E1 of the check connector with a paper clip or piece of wire while the key is on. This will make the light flash out the code. Then look it up online.

Hello there, I did the paperclip test it was EXTREMELY HARD because you have to get the correct size paperclip then you have to clean/wipe off the dialectical grease so you get a good connection. Eventually I got it and it rendered code 21 Main o2 sensor as follows below details. Main oxygen Sensor Signal Main oxygen sensor circuit Main oxygen sensor ECU   During air–fuel ratio feedback correction, voltage output from the main oxygen sensor does exceed a set valve on the lean side and the rich side continuously for a certain period. My question now is can someone please advise me what website or section in the manual that will give me instructions on how to change the Main O2 sensor. Thanks for your help as I don't have a clue. Dave  

9,640

That's why I use a piece of wire. It can be tricky but is a lot cheaper than a scan tool. The o2 sensor is the sensor that screws into the exhaust system. To remove it disconnect the plug and us a o2 sensor socket to remove it. It might need a lot of penetrating oil to get it loose. Then install a OEM style replacement sensor with some 02 sensor friendly anti-seize.

Hello there, Thanks for the help I feel so silly I found the problem it was just the wire to the O2 Sensor it corroded and broke off. I just spliced it back together and good to go now thanks. Dave