87 Camry question about Engine cutting off only when hot.

Asked by Apr 07, 2010 at 12:23 AM about the 1987 Toyota Camry

Hello to all,
Thanks to all for help with previous posts you guys are all the best and quite helpful.
Okay so my 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed has a serious problem of (ONLY WHEN THE CAR IT EXTREMELY HOT) when I turn the motor off and let it sit hot for about 4 minutes then it cranks/starts fine then immediately after that it dies. You can here that something is choking the engine even if the engine does start to idle it starts missing real bad and dies. Now to get the car running again all I need to do is give it a lot of throttle/gas when I start it up or turn the key off and let it cool down for a minute and then its good to go. So here is a list of what I have already done to fix the problem...... Inspected visually & physically all vac lines, cleaned EGR, EGR modulator, throttle body, and done complete tune up. I forgot to check the most simplest thing as this same problem happened on my 1990 Honda accord. Only when the car was extremely hot the main fuel relay would have the circuits separate and it would cause the car to crank and try to start but not continue to run. The EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENDING WITH MY TOYOTA. So hence I think it may be the fuel main relay can someone please advise me as to where and if my 87 Camry has a fuel main relay and how to change it as well. Also there must be someone else on this forum that has experienced a similar problem with their 87-91 Camry please advise me here as I need some help with this one. The car is just not continuing to run after you try to start it when its extremely hot to me this means its being starved of fuel hence why I think the fuel main relay however that was the case with my HONDA and my Camry is different. So please advise me here if you think it might be something else or if the car has another relay for the fuel somewhere and if it is prone to going bad with heat and age please advise me thanks.
Dave

Dave, I am having the same problem with my 88' Toyota Camry wagon. The only difference is I usually have to wait 10-15 minutes before the car will restart. Like yours, my car starts and drives fine. But after a drive on a hot day, when I go to restart it turns over and starts for a second before stalling out. If I make additional attempts to start the car it stalls out. If I wait a while it starts a little rough, so I give it some extra fuel and it smooths out and runs fine. Did you solve your problem? Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Hello Bill, Finally another person with the same problem thank ****. Well to answer your question its complicated I don't think I fixed it so the answer is NO right now but that could change here is why. Well the car is not doing the problem right now because its not hot enough outside. So I have started changing/fixing things 1 by 1 to slowly narrow down the process. I last thing I replaced might have fixed it which was spark plugs (1 was damaged), new cap rotor & wires, and new distributor. I am not 100% sure that fixed OUR problem will let you know when it gets hotter out but SO FAR SO GOOD it has not done the problem since I fixed all those things. Oh and I also took apart the IAC and cleaned that really good. Hope that helps how many miles do you have on your car?

160

after the car is hot, I will take one spark plug wire to see if you have spark, if you don't change the ignitor, looks like a module, driver side, close to the fender, shock tower.

replace the distributor

1,380

Hi...to all. Any resolution to the issue with this vehicle?