87 Camry question about rear shocks sagging down?

Asked by Mar 31, 2010 at 03:04 AM about the 1987 Toyota Camry

Hello,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed and the rear of the car is sagging down quite low. I have replaced the shocks they are new and working fine. I am thinking the problem here is the coil springs are sagging down low with the age of the car and perhaps this is a problem with this car please advise me with this question? I would like to know why/what is causing this and how to fix the problem. If indeed it is the coil springs then please advise me if its worth the effort and money of changing out and putting new coil springs on the car it has 170k on it. I think that it would be quite risky to change the coil springs in my car due to age, rust, rust on bolts back there, and taking apart so much of the car in the rear. Again I don't know that is why I am here asking so please advise me here as I am sure there is others on here who have had the same problem with the back of the car sagging low. Thanks for your help in advising me here as to what the problem is and what to do to fix the problem.
Dave

9,130

Over time coils can sag. They make spacers but the proper way to cure this is to remove the old ones and install a new set. I would go ahead and replace them. They are about $75 a piece. Just use a lot of penetrating oil on the old hardware and invest in a coil compressor.

Thanks very much for the info I will look into this. Dave