Honda CRV 2000 distributor, timing belt, and now po420 code issues

Asked by Apr 04, 2014 at 12:30 PM about the 2000 Honda CR-V SE AWD

I had the timing belt replaced at a garage approximately two months ago. Last week my car messed up again, and it appeared that the timing belt had not been set to correct time. The mechanic denied that the timing belt was the issue, and he had me pay for a new distributor. Then when I went to go pick up my car, the plugs needed to be replaced...After that, he called me again to tell me that my car was ready, but after I drove away the check engine light came on reading p0420 code? The mechanic turned off the check engine light and told me it was fine. I have spent now close to $800 replacing the timing belt, distributor, and plugs, and I feel like the mechanic has messed stuff up. I am a women and I am not that knowledgeable about car issues, and I am afraid that I am getting scammed. The mechanic gave me a 90 day warranty on the distributor and plugs, but I am now afraid I am going to have to replace the cat convertor because of something they did? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

36,625

Here is a link so you can read up on it. http://www.p0420.com/ Most likely you have a bad O2 sensor. You can pick one up on Ebay or Rockauto. An O2 sensor is easy to change out. If you have a brother, boyfriend or father near by, they can do it easily. I doubt that your CAT is bad. Of course they will talk you into buying a new one because they are very expensive. But when I had a bad cat converter, the vehicle wouldn't go over 50 miles per hour. The entire thing was plugged. If you have a bad cat converter, your cars performance is very noticeable. If it drive fine, but the check engine light is on, it's most likely just a bad O2 sensor. I checked Ebay and they have them from $16-$50. Just look under your car and see how many you have. If you have one before the cat converter that will be UPSTREAM after the cat will be DOWNSTREAM. They are actually cheap enough so you could replace both if you don't know which is the bad one.......good luck! By the way, change mechanics! That guy sounds like a sleaze!

3,995

If it is the oxygen sensor the more likely culprit is the upstream that is the one before the catalytic converter or in other words the first one down the exhaust pipe

no not the upstream one replace the downstream one first. remember the code is related to the catalytic converter.