former specialty mechanic shares secrets

25

Asked by Nov 13, 2009 at 03:16 PM about the 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 4 Dr 300E 2.8 Sedan

hey guys i just wanted to share some of the common problems that I have with my 1993 300e 2.8 (m104 engine) that happens to every car.
1. if you have a low idle speed and you car dies at traffic lights then you have to replace your throttle body
2. If your ABS light is on and your cruise control dosnt work then you have to replace your OVP the relay to the right of your battery (the whole thing not just the fuse)
3. If you car is over heating then chances are (if you alredy replaced the thermostat) that the aux fan circuit has been shorted out. In my car this was caused by a resistor overheating, the resistor is located behind the driverside headlight, I crimped on a new contact and my car no longer overheats at red lights.

I am a part supplier for the comany www.4mercedes.com which is a great company to have work on any mercedes new or old. fell free to contact me if you have any need for parts or service in the south florida area

120

I have a ML 320. I turned the car on today and instead of it showing me my mileage... it showed me a graphic of a wrench and the number 600. Any idea what that means? Thanks

25

Sounds like its a matienence interval alert, if you live in the south florida area use this contact info and they can take care of your service for a fraction of the cost it would be at the dealer. tell them you were referred by blake parmeter. http://www.4mercedes.com/contacts.html

60

Not sure if you are still watching this posting or not but here we go.. I have a 1990 300E. It was alittle hard to start cold. But once started no problems. Then one night I stopped at a store and was in there about 30 mins, when I went to start my car I had power but no crank! I checked all the fuses I put the car in Neutral to see if it would start that way, but nothing worked. I had it towed home and I bought a starter for it. Once it was put back on I had NO power AT ALL!!!! I rechecked the fuses all of which are good. I checked that wires on the starter. All it well and I have good conection on the battery terminals. Any Ideas???? Thanks

25

Hey, I got an alert on my email, and lucky for you, I have had the same issue. I have a 1993 2.8L 300e so there are differences. However, for my vehicle, it turned out to be an issue with my car alarm system. The ignition cutoff circuit was tripped by a bad computer. My dad did the work and I was young at the time, but the box, as I remember it, is to the left of the steering wheel under the dash board. I was able to get to it with out removing my dash board. I would first try to remove the negative terminal of the battery, turn the ignition a few times and actuate the door locks (it will be hard and make sure to be easy, if it dosen't want to go don't force it). This should reset the computers and hopefully allow the car to start. However this is only a temporary fix. My car, when it had the issue, would just magically start after I let it sit for a couple of hours. After I jumped the anti-theft relay the issue never returned for me.

20

ive had the same problem. when my car wont start i listen for the clickiing relay noise. the relay for the 300e is under the glove box somewhere. its related to the alarm. the lights flash and horn goes off. i disconnected the horn. i just lock and unlock the car from the passenger side to reset it. guess i need to take the panel off the door to figure out the circuit.

105

My mercedes benz 1991 300 E 3.0 engine is driving me crazy.we were on the road when the car engine stopped. I had enough momentum to move it to the side of the road. I had it towed home and considered what could be wrong. Everything check good, battery alternator, plugs are new distributor was changed about 18 months ago. Well I got in the car and it started no problem. Took it to a mechanic he could find nothing wrong. Drove home and it stalled out 3 times. I noticed I could wait ten minutes and it would get me about one mile closer to home. My son is a mechanic in Florida and he said it might be the OVP relay In back of the battery. I changed it and the car engine sounds like new. I took it out to see if it would happen again. I let it heat up the took it around the neighborhood for about 1/2 hour. Drove into the driveway and put the air condition on high. I could feel the engine strain and I pushed the low fan button and the engine died. These are just a few of the engine dying on me. Just to long an boring to write them all. I think? it has something to do with an air condition relay as it initially stalled out when the air condition was on high. Any ideas?

400

Check ur wireharness for crumbling wkres that cause wires to touch sending mixed signal to computed.

10

I have a 93 300e Mercedes Benz and temperature gauge is reading way over normal when I turn my air on ive replaced the thermostat upper and lover radiator hose and the hose that goes from reservoir tank and it still over heats it only over heats when the air is on