How can I increase the horsepower and torque on my 1992 Toyota Tercl (DX 4D)?

Asked by Nov 13, 2015 at 09:59 AM about the 1992 Toyota Tercel 4 Dr DX Sedan

I recently got the car for a pretty cheap price and just want to make it an
extremely unanticipated sleeper. I know its not that great of a car, but I would
like to install a boost, or a cold air intake at the very least. I've looked for hours
on multiple sites trying to find turbo kits, turbos, etc. Even performance air
intakes are hard to find for this engine.
Anyway, anything you know would work with my engine and increase the
torque and HP of the vehicle would be nice to know.

For those that don't want to search what engine it is, its a L4 1.4l.

775

Go get the ecm harness eng and trans from integra gsr u will also need the mounts and axles, or just get ur self another ride, got it Dominic torreto

9,910

It could be like giving amphetamines to an 80 year old .. they may jump hurdles but .... not for long

74,515

The reason why no one sells performance parts for your car is there is no interest. You could go with a low restriction intake and exhaust and pick up a couple of HP but you could spend $5,000 on your car and it would still not be fast.

251,315

You got it cheap for a reason.

Buy an after-market camshaft for it if available? & have it installed. I dont know what lift & duration you can use, but 10-20 degrees duration over the stock specs will be OK. (Crane Cams used to make a racing cams out of stock cams by hardface over-lay welding on them, regrinding & reprofiling, check with Crane Cams). Careful with high lift cams they can hit the pistons on the "up" or "compression" stroke. Special pop-up, high compression & notched pistons are used for them. I would also buy & install some tube headers & a free flow exhaust system too. Or have an exhaust shop make a 2.5" large dia. one for you cheap. Use a large inlet & outlet dia. high perf cat convertor & muffler too.. Last my theory to make more hp is "the more air in, the more exhaust out" buy & install a cold air intake with a cone type K & N air filter OR if not avaiable or cut one up for another Toyota or make your own. I once used flex 3" drier duct from the air cleaner to a make shift a scoop in the front of the car under the bumper or to 1 empty headlight "bucket" if you have seperate high beam headlights.. Phase II, if you're really serious, have your cylinder head modified ported & polished by a cylinder head or machine shop. A spare head for modification is a good idea too. Buy one from a salvage yard & do the head work on it, & switch it out later, don't forget to use a new head gasket, & torque the head bolts in sequence, Buy a 1.4 Toyota Tercel shop manual for disassembly & assembly too. Last, use solid center braided spark plug wires, E3 spark plugs & & MSD ignition box & distributor cap, Use Sunoco 91-93 gas.Good luck. My modified 1.4 lt. Fiat turbo makes 200 hp and my 1.6 lt supercharged Mini-S made 250 hp.

9,910

If U get that much power out of that engine U may have to use a "C" camp to hold the head on

775

Fast and fearless uno duce

WTF ?

775

Its a damn tercel if ur going to do anything to a Toyota 4 banger at least find a 22RE engine damn even a coralla is even better than a terdcel

You guys seem to have blow this out of the water. All I was asking for was a slight power increase simply to learn the basics, not to make it a sleeper or track car. I don't want to spend over what it's worth on it, I know its a POS. I'm currently just wanting to work on something BEFORE I get a better car (probably a 2006 Subaru STi)

9,910

C'mon , can't you see that this is a "Fun or relaxing post"? Most of us get questions like "Why did my car stop after the Oil light was only on for 10 minutes" or "Why is my Ford Escort (231,000 miles) car is running rough ?"

Then dont ask stupid questions! Like how to make more hp from an old junker or bigger or smaller tires or how to install seats! some people dont know the basics of auto mechanics, & or lack common sense! I'm an old school hot rodder & always have customized my cars.

775

AMEN

Any custom car is an expensive hobby, basic A to B transportation is not.

775

So true, I built an 84 f150 stepside a few years ago the engine was a 351w that was pullin some were around 600hp at the flywheel, the amount of cash I had into the engine alone was enough to remodel a small house then u have the c6 auto trans I had built to handle to HP and trouqe plus the infamous 9 incher out back not to mention the amount of money I had put into the body rims and tires. So before you go putting money into something to soup it up make sure that what u r going to dump ass loads of cash into is what u want. In a nutshell save ur money for ur STI don't waste the time nor money on ur tercel its just a bomber

Best Answer Mark helpful

JIMZ, not once did I mention anything about installing new tires or seats. I know how to do most things like that, including antibody and electrical work. But the only engine work I've ever done was to my 97 mustang. And even then all I did was install a CAI. Stop acting superior to people because you have more experience and knowledge. I'd imagine I could make you feel like a complete idiot when it comes to computers. So please, fuck off.

savage