My brake pedal won't hold pressure

5

Asked by Nov 25, 2014 at 02:55 PM about the 1992 Toyota Paseo 2 Dr STD Coupe

My brake pedal just started to get soft. If you don't pump the pedal it will go to the floor, you have to pump the pedal quit a bit to make them hold. There are no leaks that can be found, and my reservior it full. You can't hear a hissing noise while pumping the pedal either? Could it be the Master Cylinder? Both front and back brakes have been replaced in the last year.

55

The brakes may been to have the lines bled it tame 2 people

65,695

Sound,s like a bad master cylinder,but you can bleed them,as dmagee2414 said above,if they don,t hold then replace master cylinder.

Best Answer
45

Check your master cylinder first to make sure it is up to the full line. Sounds like you have air in the line. Get a friend to help. Start with the brake that is farthest away from the master cylinder. Have your friend pump, pump, hold while you release the line. Your friend should tell you when the brake pedal hits the floor. You close the valve and repeat the process. Then move on to the next. You must do this for all four wheels. If you encounter one that nothing comes out on the first try. close your valve and try again. Does not count as one unless you get fluid flowing. Always make sure you master brake cylinder is full before moving on to the next. And always replace the cap to the master cylinder before pumping.