Can this car ever run again??

Asked by Aug 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM about the 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2 Dr STD Convertible

I have a 2003 MR2 Spyder with SMT transmission. I need some advice and/or
information to rectify the problems I am having with it. The car is in great shape and
only done 43,000 miles and I love it
The car has had regular fluid checks/oil changes/maintenance/etc.
I bought this car in March 2014 and was checked out by 2 mechanics that advised me  
it was running well and in good  working order.
As I only used it during the weekend,I have on put about 300 miles since buying it.
About 3-4 weeks after having the car, I wanted to improve the sound choices. I took it
to have it fitted with  a blue tooth device using the cigarette lighter port in the
cabin.After testing it out I decided not to go for it.
The seller removed it from the cigarette port and as he pulled(Tight) it came out with
the port.He pushed it back .I started the car and put it in gear and nothing happened.I
tried reversed and was the same.I turned off the car and called my mechanic who
services other car.He had no answers.I tried again and when I revved the car it moved
but sluggishly.I droved it home slowly about 8 miles  with it beeping most of the way
using all the gears, about 10mins later the beeping stopped.
I parked the car and left it for about 3 weeks .I got different  mechanic(mine was away)
to go for a drive with me started the car and drove 1 mile with the beeping and I came
to my house i put the reverse and the car came to a stop.So got the  code read  but
can not remember the codes, I think it was the sensors.He advise me to change the
clutch, reluctantly I said yes and a Toyota clutch was changed.
After the clutch change, we  started the car to test it but nothing just N showing, not
moving but if you put it in any other gear just beep..beep.
Left the car for another few weeks until my mechanic came back.He put his car
compute on Toyota and read the codes.
X431 DIAG Report   LAUNCH
SMARTBOX: 980244449600

Total codes 5
P0808 Clutch position sensor circuit high
P0810  Clutch Position sensor circuit error
P0917 Gear shift position circuit high
P0934 Hydraulic pressure sensor circuit low input
P0942  Hydraulic pressure unit
C1553 Processing when reset occurs during running.

So my mechanic said he was going to check the wiring, he said after checking he
thought it could be the computer transmission control.
There is no body that can definitely say , so I am not spending anymore money until I
get an expert to advise.I paid $9000 for this car and had 8 drives  in 3-4 weeks!

Please can you advise me?
Any help  would be appreciated ,Should I get it scanned again?Do you have to
reprogram me after a clutch change?What is a relearn?.Do my mechanic have the right
scanner?I do not want to take it to dealership as they are saying I need more part
replaced with unbelievable costs associated to do it.
My mechanic this week looking at the sensors and actuator assembly, what he found
was there are 3 same sensors in the assembly,one was broken, the other had weak
signals and the other was fine.Each cost about US 250, should I replace them with new
ones or should I go for the option :monkey wrench racing is selling a secondhand
complete actuator assembly with the sensors that was taken out of a working car for
about US700.What should I do???

I am searching for help and advice on either selling it , help on fixing it with
advise/expertise
IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS OR HAS HAD SIMILAR ISSUES WITH SMT - Please let me
know. I NEED HELP!

69,275

Since it started when the cigarette lighter assembly was pulled out of the dash I'd start there. The lighter has to have a positive (+) and a negative (-) connection to work. My guess is the negative connection is the problem. This is usually the outer casing of the lighter socket. It's screwed to something metal, usually a metal ring behind the dash. I'm guessing the lighter is near the shifter. So when the lighter was pulled out you probably have a bad ground condition for other things besides the lighter. This can really upset the apple cart! A friend's whole dash board instruments got messed up when he changed the radio in his car. All because he forgot one screw! That screw secured a ground strap to the back of the instrument cluster behind the dash! HTH. -Jim

10

My 2005 Spyder has died on me three times. It seems it happens when I make a fast decision, as though I have "popped the clutch." However, it is the sequential transmission (straight shift without a clutch pedal). The red circle shows up on the dash and sometimes it will not go back to neutral so I can start it. Sometimes it just gets stuck in 3rd, then neutral... I have to stop -pull out the key and go again. Then repeat problem.. I am not sure if I need to replace the Transmission with a used Transmission, the car has 117,000 miles. Did anyone check the SMT (Sequential Manual Transmission ) reservoir fluid level? check the "Shift Lever Position Sensor Switch and GSA sensor? Toyota dealer said replacing the Shift Lever Position Sensor Switch will fixed it Toyota dealer claims I should replace the paddles and other electronic stuff Toyota dealer said I needed a new SMT ECU(Engine Control Unit)? Toyota dealer said You might need the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) replaced? Toyota dealer said the transmission computer was fried and I needed a new one? Toyota dealer said some of the wiring had been corroded due to the water damage need to clean it out?

10

I am the owner of 2003 spyder with smt transmission ,try changing the transmission relay