My toyota camry stopped accelerating forward yesterday.However, it can still move in reverse. Is the transmission dead?

35

Asked by May 19, 2015 at 10:16 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry LE

I'm afraid it might be the transmission. I used my OBD2 scanner and it shows the
following codes: P0401,P0446,and P0500.

1,285

You could have a bad transmission but i would check this first. Vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. p0500 Toyota P0500 Toyota - Vehicle Speed Sensor A Possible causes - Faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor - Vehicle speed sensor harness or connectors is open or shorted - Vehicle speed sensor circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) Tech notes The P0500 code is very common on the Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Camry, Toyota Tundra, Toyota RAV-4. Before replacing the sensor you should try cleaning the sensor gear and erasing the code. If the light comes back you may have to replaced the sensor. When is the code detected? The almost 0 km/h (0 MPH) signal from vehicle speed sensor is sent to ECM even when vehicle is being driven.

1,285

P0446 Toyota P0446 Toyota - EVAP System Vent Control Circuit Possible causes - Missing Fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - Vent control valve harness is open or shorted - Vent control valve circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty vent control valve When is the code detected? The P0446 codes triggered when an improper voltage signal is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) through EVAP canister vent control valve. Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors P0446 Toyota Description The Evaporative System (EVAP) canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister and is used to seal the canister vent. This solenoid valve responds to signals from the Engine Control Module (ECM). When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger will then move to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is necessary for the on board diagnosis of other evaporative emission control system components.

1,285

P0401 low egr flow. The most common things that can cause this code on a toyota is the modulater valve and the vacuum switching valve. The modulator is located right next to the egr valve and the switching valve is under the intake, kinda difficult to get to. If the check engine light going on and off like this I would lean more towards the switching valve because it will stick and then work again. I would also remove the EGR valve and check for carbon build up, if the hole is plugged clean it out and clean the valve, clear the code and drive to see if it comes back on the the valve or the switching valve is bad.

Is there a transmission dip stick on this vehicle? Look......Smell.....Feel...the oil on this dip stick and get back to us.

35

I already checked the ATF on the dip stick and there's no burning smell or anything odd with the fluid.

OK.....clear the codes,,then.with the engine running in park or neutral.....shift into Drive.....do you fell a thump and does the vehicle want to move? accelerate......do any of these codes return?

35

When I shift into R, it wants to move. However, it doesn't happen when I shift to D. Look like the transmission is really the problem, don't you think?

IF,,,,,,you put her in drive or any forward gear,,,and you accelerate and the engine revs up and the car will not move,,,,,,you might have a computer problem, Most cars have electric solenoids which help apply bands and clutches in the trans. The TCM operates these solenoids. That's why I asked if any codes have returned after being cleared. The final analysis would be in the hands of a tranny mechanic. So...would you be willing to pay for a tow and a diagnosis from a good tranny repair shop?

35

I already took it to wiwi transmision and they told me that the codes are not related to the transmission and that if the car does not move in D, it was probably the transmission and it would cost me $1200 with installation included. Of course, I could buy a used transmission and have a mechanic to install it, but I want to make sure it is indeed the transmission.

It may cost more than $1200 to repair this vehicle. Remember...you have all these codes stored which usually indicates other expensive repairs. I think your tranny is computer controlled. It would be a shame to replace a tranny when there may be a computer related problem. A good tranny shop should be able to determine if an internal trans problem exists....or ...you have a problem external to the trans. Good Luck

What if the Transmission is not giving any codes? I'm having same issues.