I have a 1993 Toyota Camry. I just recently started having problems with my reverse gear in my transmission. When I put it in reverse it will idle back a little bit, but when I apply gas nothing.

20

Asked by May 02, 2015 at 04:17 PM about the 1993 Toyota Camry

I put my car in reverse it barely moves, but when I apply gas it barely moves. I checked transmission fluid and everything is full/normal. If anybody out there has any information or advice to give me I will greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

97,125

What color is the fluid? If it is still a bright red you can try to service it and put in a can of TransX then fill to specs, then drive carefully for about 10 minutes, shut it down and let it sit overnight, if it is going to help it will have by then, if it don' t then the reverse band is bad, and so the tranny will need overhauled.

20

I just checked and it looks full, but it's a dark brownish red color.

97,125

UHOH that means it is slipping, it may already be too far gone. You can try a service but don't expect too much.

20

Is tranx something I just add into where I add transmission fluid? Or do I have to drop the whole pan?

97,125

You have to drop the pan to service the tranny but anyway you put it in before you refill the trans where you fill the tranny.

20

Alright so I was on my way to bring my girlfriend to work and I noticed the problem is bigger than I thought. I was going 60mph on cruise control and my car was running at 3500rpm and I know it should be 2500rpm. We'll I went to auto zone and put the tranx stuff in and not everything's working fine. But, is that just a temporary fix? Should I drop my pan, clean it out and put new fluid in it??

20

*I meant to say NOW everything's working fine, but is that a temporary fix? Should I drop my pan, clean it out and put new fluid in it??

97,125

Yes it is temporary, but you are suppose to put it in with new fluid as I has stated. Yes drop the pan replace the filters then put the pan back on, add 1 can of TransX then fill to specs. I can't give you any time line on how long it will last.

20

Well tomorrow morning first thing I'm dropping my pan, cleaning everything out. I'm gonna use a magnet to try and get any metal debris that might be in there. I'm gonna change the filter, and the gasket. Then refill with new transmission fluid. So, after doing all that are u saying still put a bottle of tranx too?

97,125

Either TransX or Toyota LubeGuard, as you already put in the TransX I would go with the LubeGuard. After that keep a eye on the color of the fluid, if it starts to change color but the tranny is still operating properly, drop the pan again, look for metal, if none is found put in more LubeGuard and refill it. If you find metal it is on it's last leg, start saving for a tranny or get rid of it.

Best Answer
20

Thanks shoes, I'll post again and keep u all u dated on what happens. I really appreciate the answers and help that u guys gave me. The crazy part is, I just had this transmission rebuilt about 2yrs ago, but when I got it back everything was fine except whenever I would reverse and throw it into drive the car would kinda buck "if u know what I'm saying", so when I would reverse I would put my foot on the brake then put in drive and take off smoothly. So, I always felt like something wasn't done right, but I don't know.

97,125

That is the way you are suppose to do it, after backing put your foot on the brake, stop fully then switch gears.

20

Alright I just dropped the pan. The fluid looked pretty burnt, but there was no little metallic metal in the pan at all. So, is that a good thing? I'm about to change the filter and gasket and then refill with transmission fluid, but should I add another additive like tranx? Or does it not need that?

97,125

No metal is a good thing, go ahead, but instead of using the TransX cause you already put it in, switch to LubeGuard For Toyota.

20

I went to auto zone and they said they don't sell anything that says Toyota. Where can I go to get Toyota LubeGuard??

97,125

CarQuest in my area handles it.