How can I reset my computer system after battery dies. Navigation screen no longer responds.

60

Asked by Oct 16, 2014 at 07:03 PM about the 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS

Battery died when I was having a new stereo put in.  They charged it, but now my
navigation screen doesn't come on.  I did get it on once- tried to adjust my clock, but
the buttons didn't make the hours/minutes change.  Now I can't get the screen on at all.  
I'm guessing the "charging" cooked her brains a little bit, but I'm trying to find a way
to.... un-cook her. It makes the beep noise when I push the display button, but nothing
shows up on the inboard screen.  If anyone can offer any advice - I would GREATLY
appreciate it.  She's a 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS and she's my baby!

12,705

disconnect your battery for 15 -30 minutes to reboot your cars ecm.

60

I unhooked the battery cable for about an hour. I just put it back on. The Toyota screen lights up, then there is the back light, but if I push any button, it goes black again..... Any other ideas?

12,705

sounds like the screen has had the back light possibly die on it when you push the buttons can you hear or see it working ? also can try a flash light aimed at the screen. The flash light will tell you if the back light is dead or not because when you look closely you will see the screen details. If this is the case you unfortunately will have to get a new one. try a wrecking yard you may get it cheap.

12,705

oh and have the wiring checked for the new stereo they may have not wired it in correctly. it could cause issues with the nav since i imagine the stereo is attached to it

60

I like the way you're thinking. I had the stereo people take the radio out, put back in the factory radio - still didn't work. There are no wires that went through the radio directly. When I start the car (after removing the battery cable) the Toyota screen comes up (Says "Toyota" and is fully lit, like it was before), but then it goes to a lighted grey color. If I push the display button - or any other button - it goes to black. I wish I knew more about electrical/mechanical things!

60

flash light produced nothing... But the screen DOES light up when I start the car - then goes grey - then black if I push a button.

12,705

hmm.. yea sounds like a short either in the unit or in the wire. move next to the fuse panel and check for burnt fuses. anything after that and your looking at a full on replacement or you may have to remove the unit and take it to an electronics repair place cause this is starting to sound more like a bad capacitor in your nav unit board.

60

Ok. Thanks for all your help! I'll check the fuses. If that's not it, I'll run it by the dealership and see if they can plug it in and see what the problem might be.

What did you find out from the dealer? I have the exact same problem. Changed the battery, reset the windows ect but the NAVIGATION screen goes dark. all other functions such as climate, info etc work. Just navigation is dark. Everything worked before I changed the battery.

60

They told me they had never heard of such a thing... That I could pay $150 for them to LOOK at it, but they couldn't guarantee that they could fix the problem... Since they needed to keep it for a few days (and the dealership is an hour from where I live), I have not brought it to them... If you find out how to fix it - please let me know!

12,705

well anouther thing i could suggest is get one of those diagnostic kits that plugs into your laptop and comes wit ha prgoram disc. These types of diagnostic tools should help you correct any problems if its computer related since its the same thing most garges use to diagnose your car.

60

I may take it to my local mechanic and have him plug in his computer and see if it throws any codes... He doesn't charge me for that.. That's what you're talking about, right?

Did that but it did not show a code for the NAV system.

12,705

well it could be the same thing as the other guys car then. The screen could be on but not lit which means a bad back light. Try disconnecting your battery for 15 - 30 minutes and see what happens also try turning your key to the on position a couple times to make sure all the power in the cars capacitors drains out. if the nav system has a power button then while the key is in the on position and the battery is disconnected hold it for about 15-20 seconds and this will drain all its capacitors and it should fully reboot. this is what i ussaly do with my tv when it acts up so might work night not but worth a shot.

Take it a mechanic

Check the furges

I had two console units die. Only answer was to replace them!!!

20

Is this an OEM Toyota Radio? After market Radios don't work properly with the Navigation System.

Did anyone ever get an answer to this? I had the exact same problem happen - had my battery replaced (at the dealer) then my nav went dark. Took it back to the dealer - they said they had never heard of anything like this happening... they took the whole thing apart and told me the only solution is to replace the nav for $2000+, but everything else is working - radio buttons, a/c, etc. Just the screen is dark -- and I can't connect to bluetooth. (I have a 2007 GX470)

12,705

did you try what i suggested to do? half the time its cause the back light has gone out. Point a flashlight at the screen while the truck has power on and see if you can't see the nav screen. If its there your back light is dead if its not the screen is likely dead. Chances are the stupid techs shorted your nav screen out when they replaced the battery because they never discharged the system correctly.

60

@ Deathjam4- I did try that, but it didn't work. My screen lights up, but then goes black. My boyfriend (who is more patient than I) managed to get the menu screen to come up, but none of the buttons are responding. He thinks, when I got my new radio installed, that there was some kind of "piece" (I'm not mechanical) in the old radio that might make it work.... Haven't tried it yet, but will report once we (he) does.

12,705

I think this might be that case. I have heard a few other people say that their nav system stopped working once they replaced their stereo with an aftermarket one. These cars don't seem to like people screwing with the radios. Get the car completely drained of power and try unplugging the nav system for like half a day or so after that. This might correct the issue then again it may not. just make sure you do all the steps i said before unpluging it to be sure its fully drained of power. anything after that i would have to say a rebuilt nav or new one or a junk yard may be the only option.

10

Same with me unplugged the battery and now the nav is black.seems to me just from this thread this is a problem and doubt the nav needs to be replaced and is is a reset of some sort

12,705

i found a website that estimates repairs i'm just waiting for a response on why this happens. I have my suspicion that its cause the unit is not properly grounded so when you reconnect the battery it shorts out the nav system.

60

Well, if anyone figures it out - please post the "fix" here. :-) Seems like there are a few of us on the hunt for this answer.

12,705

the most likely fix is to have it removed and find a place that can refurbish it for you.

does any one got a awnser, im about to go buy a fuse test kit and test all the fuses cuz none of my fuses look bad

12,705

i believe the problem is with the unit it self. The simple fact that most people have had this issue generally after a power failure with the battery would make me believe there is a fail safe or poor circuitry in the unit. There is a place that refurbishes the units as its normally the best bet. Guarantied if your unit has a black screen it likely is still working just the back light has blown out. Shining a flash light on the unit will usually prove this point.

I have same problem