Can I reset my oil mileage indictator if it's not back to 0% oil life ?

Asked by Jul 07, 2015 at 03:22 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

Since I use Amsoil motor oil, (XL series) they only recommend I change the oil every 15,000 mile or 6 months whichever comes first, but my oil life indictator gets to zero before the 15,000 so if I reset it, it might be at 30% when the oil needs changed (at the 15,000) but it won't let me reset it since it is still showing 30%. Is there a way I can do this? or is this the way they have the computer set up and I'll just have to keep track of the mileage on paper?

104,215

The computer is programmed with that default and can't be changed.

235

On Most GM vehicles you can reset the oil life back to 0 from my understanding I would google oil life reset for your year make and model and go from there. Im pretty sure you can but dont hold me to it.

3,945

You can reset your oil life any time you want to. Simply turn the key to run without starting the engine and depress the gas pedal 3 times. With a product like Amsoil you can probably do the same thing I do with mine using Royal Purple. When the indicator reaches 0% the first time I reset it and change the filter. When it reaches 0% the second time I do a full oil change, unless I'm feeling lazy in which case I reset it again and change it when I'm feeling more energetic. It's not very scientific, but it works fine for me and probably will for you too.

165

Of course you can reset it. Munron's answer was correct. Your engine has no way of analyzing the oil to determine whether its fresh or not.