What makes the supercharged gtp engine better than a non-supercharged engine?

85

Asked by May 04, 2007 at 02:49 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

what makes the supercharged GTP engine better than the non-supercharged 3.8 liter 252hp engine on the G6 GTP Pontiac for 2007?What is the reasoning for the Eaton Supercharger?.
dougsherman2003@yahoo.com
PS:I just bought a cherry 04 GTP/with 24000 miles.

15,130

Hello dougiedo-- I am not sure that the supercharged engine actually is better than the regularly aspirated 2007 GTP engine. The supercharger is an air compressor used to force more air (and hence more oxygen) into the combustion chambers of an engine. The extra oxygen results in a more powerful explosion in the cylinder and your car gets a [power boost. It seems the 2007 gets the same results without the supercharger. The choice is yours. Good luck from Bovan.

10,755

your supercharged version has 60hp more than the regular version (260hp vs. 200) which means faster acceleration in 2004- the 2007 model wasn't called the GTP, just GT and IS supercharged to get the same 260 hp- the hot rod model was the GXP which got 303 HP out of a 5.3 v-8 which is non supercharged, I hope this helps.

715

peak horsepower means near nothing. the hot rod models have always been tuned for torque across the band which is the reason they accelerate like a bat out of hell despite being hefty sedans. you can tune a motor to make 450 rwhp and have it be junk, if it only makes that power in a narrow band. plus, horsepower is only good if you have enough torque to get you going that fast. the natural 3.8's are still strong motors, but the torque band only runs 2500 to 4500 rpm's. the GTP's and and later GT's make more torque, and do so all the way from 2000 up to 5800 rpm's.

145

supercharged 3800 and n/a 3800 are totally different s/c versions are stronger they have to be there not even called the same engine cause there not the same at all besides the look of them that's like comparing the 3800 series two to the series 3 {L 36} is n/a 3800 . and {L 67 } is the supercharged model and these are series two motors in case you didnt get that lol

95

I thought the G6 GTP came in a 3.9 ltr engine?

145

yes the 3.9 ltr is avalible in that year from 2006 till pontiac died u could get one in that size but there are a ton of differant engines for these cars 3.5 3.6 .3.9 2.4 ltr but what u have to remember is the g6 took over the grand am models after 2005 so it wouldnt have series engine in it anyway

10,755

In case you guys didn't notice, we are talking about GRAN PRIX, not G6!! so yes, the info Bovan and I gave would be correct.......

Guys, I have a 04 GT it takes off after about 10 mph and gets it, but I'm selling the light grey beast for beastier, 07 GXP, is there anything I can add for more power like a larger intake for more airflow? I'm wanting to add, Borla Duals Exhaust pipes for low rumbbling sound.

10

Richard, The 04-07 IS called a GTP, I have one with 300hp (yes, 260 stock) and it took about 300 bucks to get the extra 40... It's one of the cheapest performance cars around and it's about 1 second behind the 06' C6 Corvettes 1/4...

I have 2003 grand Prix Ltd sedan nothing much done 350 horse just ran it down the road and went over 300km an hour any one tells me that they are not fast they know nothing going to finish tuning I know she has more

This might be a dumb question. But is the exhaust from a 04 grand prix gt1 the same as a 05 supercharged? I have the 04 gt1 with a glogged catalytic converter and found a guy parting out a 05 supercharged. Can i just unbolt the section of pipe with the cat and bolt it to mine or will it not fit???

10

The exhaust is the same stock exhaust.

10

I'm cutting mine out and putting pipe in its place, I thought about putting a new catalytic in but they're just not as good unless you put a lot of money into it. It's costing me about 20 bucks to cut it out.

Awesome thanks buddy

So second guessing the clogged catalytic converter... The problem is the car is bogging down and stalling. It started out throwing a code for fuel tank pressure sensor so i replaced that. The service light went out but same problem. Since, ive replaced fuel pump, new fuel filter, and replaced fuel pump pressure relay and still nothing. A buddy told me its a clogged cat... It idles just fine. When not in gear i can red line it all day and no bogging and stalling out but when i put it in gear and give it some gas it bogs down real hard and stalls. Any suggestions to what this might be???

Maf...