ignition problems, car starting then shutting down

Asked by Apr 01, 2007 at 10:14 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Sometimes, when I start my car, it will idle for a few seconds, then immediately shut off. I mean shut the whole car down so nothing electrical can work. During this time I can't even get the key out.
So I restart the car and then everything is fine. But it just seems like sometime more than others that the starter has to work a little harder.The ignition part is really starting to worry me. I don't want to be stranded somewhere with my car having a faulty ignition.
** Car has 148k miles, and bought it at 140k miles.**  
I had a Ford Thunderbird that almost did the same thing, only I started loosing power to everything one at a time (i.e. one window, both windows, the radio, the a/c, etc.). And once I removed the steering column, it was the ignition switch and it was comming apart. I had to put the small B.B back into the hole, put the metal sliding track back into align, and put the plastic piece together with the housing)

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

22,860

Hi madness! A Grand Prix with electrical issues is not the rarest thing in the world (that would be a good margarita in a Chinese restaurant ... but I digress ...). You need to get this puppy to a dealer and have an electric workup done before you do anything else. Good luck!

20

Hi madness I have a 01 grand prix gt and I ahd the same problem. After spending 300 dollars and found out that it was a broken wire in the steering colum that was connected to the security system, and had to go to the dealer and spend another 500 dollars to fix it properly. It has worked get ever since.