2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Starting Problems

5

Asked by Jun 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

Hi,
I was checking to see if anyone else has had problems with their 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix starting?  I've had previous problems but changed gas companies & it seemed like that helped until today.  I started car for the first time today & was fine, but when I stopped at another place & tried to start it, it took 4 times for it to stay started.  It seemed like a hard start then would die.  The 4th start also seemed like a hard idol.  Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated!  Thanx!

105

check or have your fuel pressure checked!! looking on mitchell ondemand5 (i use it cause its the program we use at work) the fuel pressure for this model is 56-62 psi with the 3.8 liter (per mitchell ondemand), same with the 5.3 liter. this could be your problem, but without seening it for myself im shooting darts (as im a mechanic).

575

I had the same problem with my 2005 grand prix. this is going to sound crazy but it is your throttle body. it takes 10 min to fix just take off your air intake and spray carb cleaner into the throttle body use a pipe cleaner to brush off all of the carbon build up where the butterfly goes and it will start right up. i know this sounds crazy but I had a GM tech tell me to try it and it worked like a charm. Good luck

135

Replace air filter and fuel filter this will help in some way. better gas mileage also may need new plug wires and spark plugs.

305

Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Coolant Fan Temperature Switch (VIN E TBI-V8 engine only), the Fuel Injectors (V6 engine only) and the Electronic Control Module (ECM), and a periodic problem is failure of the Fuel Injectors (PFI-V8 engine only). Failures of the Fuel Injectors may prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Coolant Fan Temperature Switch is estimated at $9.00 for parts and $19.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors (V6 engine) is estimated at $126.00 each for parts (total of 6) and $175.50 for labor.The cost to repair the ECM is estimated at $134.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Fuel Injectors (PFI-V8 engine) is estimated at $134.00 each for parts (total of 8) and $338.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Transmission & Driveline Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Steering & Suspension Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Brakes Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Heating & Air Conditioning Moderate Problems This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $100-$250 parts and labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Starting & Charging Moderate Problems An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder. Failure of the Ignition Lock Cylinder may prevent the vehicle from starting. The cost to repair the Ignition Lock Cylinder is estimated at $50.00 for parts and $97.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax. Accessories Minimal Problems Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. Overall 4 out of 5 4 out of 5