i have a 1998 gt and my engine is beginning to knock they say i will need a new motor

25

Asked by Sep 01, 2007 at 10:07 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GT Sedan

. I want to add a supercharged series II but since i have a Gt what needs to be done if i purchase a supercharged engine. and also will the new 5.3 liter v8 thats in the impala ss ect fit in this car?

155

you will need to change your wireing harness. why by another motor when you can rebuild yours with pollished and rolled steal. and you will come out cheaper and know what you got in it. as far as chevy motors go would not buy it a buddy has one and only got 88 thousand miles on it and it ruined the block has replaced it and it still is not rite. wishes he never would have bought a chevy. that is just an opinion.

25

Thanks for that information, but even the 2007 grand prix gxp has the same engine as the chevy cars and the envoy denali has it as well.

135

hey dude. the only way your gonna get the 5.3 in that car, is if you do some seriouse mods . if you do get the v8, you shouldn't drop it. or do any thing that would involve messing with the shocks and struts, also if you do go ahead and do the swap you should also change up the transmission, which will cost a shitload. the stock tranny can barly handle the original engine.

875

jason you have a couple of posts on here all about pontiac grand prix's. you have no clue about what your saying. A 3800 trans wouldn't bolt up to a 5.3 engine so you would have to use the 5.3 trans. And if you do the right things a 3800 trans is tough as nails. even stock i've never had to change a 3800 transmission. Your also what? 17-18 years old, what do you know about cars you still smell like huggies boy. As for the engine swap the gtp engine would be an easy swap, GTP block and accesories and a pcm programmed for a gtp. the super charger is just an air pump it runs off a belt drive no electronics on it. The 5.3 swap you would be better off just buyin the car that that engine comes in like the impala or monte carlo.

135

ha oo your funny. i am 17. ive been driving since i was five. maybe four, im not sure. but i do know how to work on a car. i learned every thing myself. some from my uncle who owns a shop. of course in south dakota. there isn't much of an operatunity for work in a shop. so yes i don't know much. but i do know about a grand prix. ive had since i was 13.

875

okay so good for you you know about a 97 grand prix thats naturally aspirated don't give people advice about cars, you are just filling their heads with bad info.

135

and i know a v8 isn't gonna fit under the hood

25

some people dont know enough to check the oil, i know my grand prix uses a little oil and if the oil level gets low enough the engine will knock and set off the knock sensor. If the level is correct then you have one of a couple of things happening, excessive crank bearing clearance, excessive rod bearing clearance, or piston pin/bearing is worn out, or even fuel detonation. IF you do rebuild the motor make sure to torque the intake manifold correctly because those engines are notorious for having intake leaks. Sometimes a new motor or used is not bad way to go for one of two reasons. you may find when you rebuild the motor that the crank, piston bores, etc are worn making them unusable.

35

thats all she wrote son.. its gone.

it looks like most of these bitches are more into putting out there personal opinions than facts !! you should be able to pick up an entire cradle from a salvage yard for about 700 to 900 hundred.. thats the subframe, engine, trans, struts etc... it should bolt right in with minor mods, if your a decent mechanic these mods will be fairly easy, time consuming but relatively cheap.. the 5.3 is very buildable where as the 3.8 isnt!! so go for it just shop around for the whole package and for less than 1500 you should be rollin!!

and for the record fwd 5.3 engines shared bellhousing patterns with the 3.8 thats y u cant use a rwd engine in 1 it was gms way of saving cash

1,865

what draws you to this pontiac that makes you want to put more work into it than worth? the knocking noise could be a simple tune, gas, or could be rod knock (bad)... if you're looking for power, i'd just suggest building a car worth building - especially if you're wanting to drop cash on a SC. No point in even caring if a 5.3 will fit in it, it would be too cramped, require extensive work on the suspension, the weight distribution would be horribly off, horrible under stear... i just wouldn't recommend anything of what you're asking other than - if you want to keep your car running find out what's knocking or sell it and get something worth building. that's inclusive of my opinion, experience and just advice. my $0.02

l67 is a drop in with a reprogrammed ecm my 0.02 :)

2,865

get a new car, something 16 years old as a daily driver is asking for trouble

some people on here don't have a clue about Buick 3800. you have several options. 1 is to rebuild this engine, you can add up to 300hp with a stock tranny without problems anything beyond that you will need to beef up your tranny soft parts deferential, harden 4th shaft, etc. 2, you can buy another 3800 keep in mind that these engines are very strong and reliable but if you buy a engine from the scrap yard you may run into these problems again later down the road I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what to look for when buying from junk yards. if you do decide to buy one anyway the l67 or the l32 is the way to go. 3, you cannot drop in a 5.3, the 04+ model grand prix gxp engine bay is custom to fit this engine now if you want a v8 you may be able to drop in a 4.6 north star I've seen this in a 2002 grand prix the owner did some extensive frame and engine bay work to do this it cost money. bottom line its up to you to decide when you ready go and get info on what you decided on. note keep up on oil changes no engine is bullet proof when it comes to low oil life it will eventually throw a rod or burn up your valve seals very important. synthetic oil is what I use in my grand prix gt I use 93 octane,