Swap 98 Prix engine w/o supercharger with one with

10

Asked by Dec 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GT Coupe

I have a 98 Prix with out a supercharger and would like to switch it with an engine
with one. Is this possible? If so what extras will i need to purchase to make it work?

3,195

for all the work & money to switch everything it might be cheaper to just buy a car equipt with a super charger ! you would have to beef up suspension ,change the ECU ,exhaust pipes, wiring harness & radiator & air box..............

2,965

i agree, just the cost of the computer would be prohibitive, would be much cheaper just buying one with the 3.8 supercharged and enjoy!!!!!

10

thank you. Might anyone have a 3800 w/o supercharger for sale? My engine on my grand prix blew so i got a new car and then 6 months later the head gasket blew. Now im thinking about selling my current car and using the money to replace the engine in the grand prix since i liked it so much.

3,195

there are countless places online i'm sure you can find one at a decent price . ebay, yahoo, car buyers market.com, to name a few,or you can just replace the engine with an original 3.8 that was is there,you can buy those engines rebuilt at a good price or even from a junk yard ,but i rather have new at least it has a warranty.

2,965

horsepower is 180 for normally aspirated engines and 205 for the supercharged version. that also requires premium fuel. so not that much bang for a lot of buck

20

Daniel you're wrong, a naturally aspirated 3.8 is 200 HP a s/c 3.8 is 240, I have a naturally aspirated 3.8 with a custom high flow exhaust and a cold air intake that makes 220 hp

The bottom end of engines are the same. Buy a wrecked gtp, then pull the motor. The only thing that may be an issue is there is a gauge that shows boost. I don't know if that would be a problem.

And by the way, suspension, exhaust is the same. Computer and maybe upper wiring harness is different. Lower wiring harness is the same.

If you think different, go on advance auto's website and type in 2001 gtp and 2001 gt..... all parts are same. I own a 98 gt, 2000gt, and 2001 gtp. 3 very thing is the same, except motor and transmission. Gearing is better in the gt than gtp too. So keep your gt trans, and add it to the gtp engine.

The difference is not what any of you say. There both basic ls blocks, 3800 series. Motors are exact same, what's different is the heads, intake, fuel injectors, Pcm, wiring harness, transmissions are different, 60 in the gt, 65 in gtp. One axel might be shorter or longer on the gtp I can't remember. And they say they make 200hp and 240hp but these aren't at the wheel power. Daniel would be correct, at the wheel it's more like 180 for the gt and 200 for the gtp. Started a swap my self.

Supercharged tranny has a bigger Axel on the passenger side series 2 makes 240hp and series 3 makes 260hp but if u throw a smaller boost pulley on there and a intercooler u get a extra 110hp