Only speeds 1-4 work on my blower

Asked by May 30, 2013 at 07:44 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2

I have a 2000 Grand Am and speeds 1-4 work fine but speed 5 does not work. My understanding is that speeds 1-4 use the resistor and speed 5 does not. Any ideas what part I need to replace.

35

Your right 5 should be a straight shot to the blower motor more or less "no resistor" check the switch itself for a bad connection test power wire going to fan when its on 5. if there is no power going through it when on 5 replace the switch. if there is check the resisters, it does'nt use it on 5 but it might still might use the block for connections.

455

most likely the blower motor resistor. In this car its basically a resistor card. Its located under the passenger side of the dash under the glove box behind the trim. cant miss it. 2 screws 6 or 7 mm in size and theres a harness of wires going into it. the wires are all in a row and it bolts in next to the blower motor. stock there blue, black if they been replaced already. pull out the bolts and it slides straight down.