1993 cutless supreme, stalls out after driving approx 5 minutes in morning, restarts then fine.

Asked by Feb 12, 2017 at 11:24 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

The car stalls after approx 5 min driving time every morning, I can restart it and then it runs fine the rest of the day. It only does it on the first start of the day no matter what time but I can restart it off and on during the day and no problem. It does occasionally give me a hard time to start with just a click but if I move the steering column up and down it will start.

73,055

There may be a O2 sensor starting to go bad, and also the Mass Air Flow Sensor may need to be cleaned. This requires a spray cleaner designated just for the MAF sensor. Also it wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body with carburetor cleaner.

4,175

The starting/moving the steering column thing is a separate issue. That is a common problem in cars of that era. There were some issues with wires breaking at the connectors at the bottom of the steering column. They can be tough to find. If you're doing it yourself do some more research so you know what you're looking for and then be patient. If you're paying someone, try to find a mechanic who's been doing this for a while and has worked on these cars when they were experiencing these problems 10 or 15 years ago. Someone like that will likely know where to look and will go right to the problem. My guy did when I had my '95 Bonneville.