Car starts, runs great, shut it off for 15 minutes and then won't even turn over to start again.

Asked by Oct 01, 2013 at 06:52 PM about the 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I have a oldsmobile Cutless supreme 1989 in near perfect condition. It runs great, I'll
run all over town shopping, shut if off, gone 15 minutes, start up, repeat about 5 times.
About the 5th time after being off only 15 minutes I turn the ignition and nothing, lights
come on but engine doesn't even turn over, just a click noise. I wait and hour and then
it will start right up. I just had a new starter put in and it did it again today, started
back up after an hour. When it does this all the lights come on, it hear a click, but no
engine turn over. Also I already had a new ignition put in it too, that didn't fix it either.  
Any ideas what it may be?

10

Sounds like relay or circuit breaker

60

Where are the circuit breakers and relays located on this car?

60

Where are they located?

i HAVE THE SAME CAR. WHEN MINE DID THIS I HAD A WEAK BATTERY THAT ALSO HAD A NUT ON THE BATTERY BOLT THAT KEPT LOOSENING. NEW BATTERY AND NEW NUT(LOCKING NUT) AND NOW NO ISSUE.

385

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile cutlass that was doing the same thing, my problem was that my battery cables had to be cleaned. Try cleaning the cables... those cars from 1996-1999 had an lot of issues... if you have any more issue feel free to contact me at northernflavor@aol.com

Might be the security system. My daughter had a car that every now and then would not start. Seems the security system would shut down. The fix was to turn the key to the ON position, then let it sit for five minutes or so to reset. Then it would start. See if that helps, then once it starts, drive it to a dealer and trade it in for a Toyota.