1993 oldsmobile cutlass supreme convertible 3.4 Battey drain

Asked by May 24, 2012 at 05:09 PM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr STD Convertible

My power antenna motor comes on when I power the radio on and off, but antenna doesn't go up or down - could this be draining my battery? Also took out starter and it was covered with oil and rattles inside. Thought it was not starting because of low battery - do I need a new starter, too? It works when car is jumped.

210,735

The nylon zip cord inside the metal telescoping antenna is broken. The motor will run like you said, but it is only when you turn it off and on and the since the cord snapped it won't pull or push the antenna up. So it won't be running or draining your battery. Not sure on the starter issue.

Best Answer

Thank you, Tom, for your quick answer! You are wonderful. Glad to know it isn't draining the battery. Trying to find out what is. The metal telescoping antenna also has a "pinch" in it and so it is stuck up about 6 inches. I would like to fix it - Do you know if I need a whole new antenna with motor or can I just get the antenna top piece with the cord and reattach it. Thank you so much.