I have a 1995 town car that stalls without warning and then will start up in a couple of minutes. No check engine. Lights are on.Thank you for your help

10

Asked by Feb 19, 2015 at 08:23 AM about the 1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature

160000 miles, goes thorough 2 quarts of oil every 600 miles. Runs great

A quart every 300 miles, if not leaking, may be worn piston rings, valve guide seals...among a long list of other things. If it is blowing white/blue tint smoke out the tailpipe, that is probably it. For that problem anyway, and worn rings will not throw a TDC code to light CEL. I am pretty sure the '95 Town Car has the 4.6L SOHC. Not a pushrod engine. Maybe a compression test is called for. But back to the beginning, that's if it's not leaking out, and you would know, your parking place will tell you, lots of oil on ground. If that's the case forget compression test and find the leak, maybe valve covers, main crank seals front and/or rear, again a long list. I don't know what weight motor oil you use, but go to 15-40 and that might help. Now I know, I didn't mention the stalling. That is another thing that I really just don't know what's going on there.

655

As for the stalling and re-starting, you say the check engine light is not coming on. Doers the check engine light work? Does it come on (with all the other warning lights) when you first turn the key but before the engine turns over? If it doesn't come on at this point, you need to have that fixed first. If it does light up when starting, then we can eliminate anything that might trigger the light, such as emission-control items (engine computer, oxygen sensors, etc...). Does this problem seem worse when the fuel tank is really low, and/ or it's really hot outside? If so, then I would look for a plugged fuel filter (when was the last time you changed it?) or a defective fuel pump.

10

jclark6218 All the dummy lights work. New fuel filter it does not matter i live in pa. So its been both hot n cold. Ive been doing 60 n 20 it stalls wait 5 min it always starts back up. Its happens when engine has been running for 5 or 50 min.