Hey i have a 91 town car LOVE IT taken care of well. My digital dash stared going crazy (no idea how much gas, says CO reading out on it; on off back n forth; since that a loud whistling at back tire(gas cap) and extra loud when i open trunk)! Yesterday started chugging and jumping from stop to about 50mph. any acceleration acts as tho it wants to leave me stranded! God help me(and my lincoln) if I gotta climb a hill. I replaced fuel filterand regulator, UGHHHH; she's still doing it!!! Please Help: do I need a new fuel pump only, or did my Cat.Converter go out: cuz I know nothing else to check? Cruise Control Drives it Best; doesn't seem to affect it once i get it to speed!!! Ya, I'm a chick going to do it myself with a little helpful info from here I hope (I WILL) have her fixed! THNX

5

Asked by Jun 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM about the 1991 Lincoln Town Car Base

Im a girl, Please help! Trying to do this myself

3,015

ok, first question... how much technical can you get?? second, is there any alert on the dash?? Third, have you read the codes or have any diagnostic equipment? ok know to the help. you need to check some things just to discard they are broken. you need to check fuel pressure to discard the fuel pump. from my experience you may have a problem with the tank vent system (evap) an easy way to test this is to take it for a spin with the fuel cap removed, if the car works fine the eval system has an issue. could be the eval valve or a hose or maybe the canister. keep updating to help you in what i can since those cars are not my specialty.