1994 towncar air spring ride. the air bags hold air. will not raise car an inch. can't drive the car in this condition. please any advice.

15

Asked by Dec 31, 2015 at 10:38 PM about the 1994 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

92,905

First make sure the air spring compressor system is turned on, the switch is in the trunk, then if the compressor doesn't run then you need to check for power at the compressor, if you have power and the compressor doesn't run then replace the compressor unit, if no power the trace out the circuit until you find the fault. HTH

92,905

Forgot to mention that some of these systems had a Schrader valve on the air distribution block so you could add air if the systems compressor failed, might be worth a look.

15

I really appreciate the answers as this problem have been frustrating for me to figure out. Also, I understand all the doors need to be shut and locked, which I'm having trouble with the driver door lock.

92,905

There is a limit switch that in the door latch assembly, at one time you could get just the switch but I believe that aftermarket sell the whole unit now, might be worth checking out. HTH

Best Answer
15

thank you so much for your input on my problem. never heard of what you're describing but am going to check this out. have been having trouble with the driver door lock. thank you tennisshoes. i'm guessing yur from a great state of the south? yes?

15

I's real odd but when I jack up the rear bumper, the entire rear axle will go up and not hang down like it should. there is tremendous pressure on the jack when I do this.

92,905

To answer your question about the south, sorry, Oregon for 61 and 1/2 years, but my bride is from New Orleans, now about your rear end hanging up, it should drop to the full extend of the shocks, if not then check you shocks they might be seized, and that would explain why you system won't turn on as it senses there is max pressure in the air bags, but be careful using a bumper jack, those things are just plain dangerous, if that is all you have get the thing where you need it and put jack stands under the frame just in front of the rear wheels and please make sure the fronts at well blocked. Be safe.

15

Thank yu so much answering. The shocks are new. Not siezed. I don't trust any jacks, this is a heavy car . I don't want to be a statistc.

92,905

wiring, control module, etc. pic

15

I was just out in the garage with this Towncar. The air compressor pumped up the air springs and the trunk on off switch works. The car did not raise but the pump shut off when air springs pumped up to pressure. No leaks of air pressure at the air springs or lines. Something of which I can't figure out is the air springs will not raise the car as should. Have run out of ideas about this system. Any more suggestions from you cargurus out there?

92,905

Turn off the air bag system, deflate the air bags, unhook the shocks, upper or lower bolts whatever is easiest to get to then turn the system back on and see if it starts to rise then.

15

Still working on the air ride. Here's what I did. The air bags were deflated, I raised up the rear bumper . Turned on the key The compressor inflated the bags and the air shut off. Then I lowered the rear but the bags came down along the white piston to the axle, and not keeping the car raised. The bags didn't lose air and I checked to see they are seated correctly and they are. Also the shocks are identical to the original lincoln equipment and are new. I did not unbolt them. The axle stayed on the floor this time when I raised the rear bumper. Any more ideas I can try?

92,905

Can you get a pressure reading on the systems Schrader valve? Are the air bags hard when inflated or still a bit soft?

I have a question. My 94 town car keeps blowing the air ride 30amp fuse. Any ideas?

92,905

Rj1970cars, Most common is a froze compressor for the air suspension, disconnect the compressor and see if it blows the fuse, if not then you have found the overload, if it still blows the fuse then dig out your wiring diagrams and start tracing the circuits as you have a short somewhere.