Car smokes from the engine

25

Asked by Apr 26, 2008 at 12:58 AM about the 1990 Ford Thunderbird LX

I just bought a 1990 ford thunderbird and it has only 52,000 miles on it which is great but I got it home and realized that the engine smokes like its has a oil leak. How can i fix this problem? And could it be something else that is making it smoke?
                                            Thank you,
                                                    Amie

Check your center intake Gasket inside the engine and look for carbon residue and your leak should be close hope this helps

15

The first thing I need to know is if its a 3.8L V6 engine or 5.0 V8?

135

yeah definitly check your gaskets, check how tight the oil filter and plug are. It could just be left over oil spilled during an oil change, but I doubt it.

105

This is a good idea. Some residual oil on the exhaust system from an oil change would cause smoke and it will pass. However a bad valve cover gasket will leak oil onto the exhaust manifold constantly and the smoke and fire hazard will never go away.

150

it probably isn't oil residue because on both 3.8l and 5.0l the exhaust is away from the filter and couldn't have oil dripped on them,if it is a 3.8l I would take a serious look at the headgaskets because they are a known concern.

retighten valve cover bolts.

355

Is it smoking when you drive it or just after you turn the car off? And can you smell any thing while driving.

I smell antifreeze n it's smokes badly the car cut off yesterday omw home u c smoke coming from I believe the intake where it says 4.6 liter