have new flex plate new starter new crankshaft pos. sensor still braking of teeth from flex plate

25

Asked by Aug 15, 2007 at 07:34 AM about the 1997 GMC Savana Cargo G2500 Cargo Van

Befor I got the van a new starter was put in and a new flex plate, it started 6 or 7 times was put out side wating on other parts, 3 days later whent out to start it and it broke of teeth from the flex plate, new flex plate put in and a crankshaft sensor, still doing the same thing, is there a diffrent starter for the van it has the 5.7 lt eng. and the 4L80E trans?

42,955

Is the starter shimmed properly? When reinstalling replacement GM starters, it is essential to find the proper amount of shimming required to space the starter so that it engages the teeth of the flywheel properly. There is a procedure for doing this which is described in the packet that should come with your starter. Typically between 0.020-0.035" of shimming is required to prevent problems with the starter bendix over or under-engaging the teeth.

25

No shimes, the problem is that it is to faraway and not ingaging enougth of the teeth, the saluation that I have come up with was that I ground down the mounting serface, now it has full contact with the teeth and it not braking them off any more