I brought my 2007 Honda civic to the dealer because cylinders 1 and 4 were misfiring. After days at the dealer they tried everything possible and continued to state that my parts were all working and that they had never seen anything like this. Well, after 3 days and a call to Honda America turns out that that the last time I had gotten gas the gas was mixed with enough water to cause the issue. I now have a case open with the 7-11 mobile, a claim number, Adjuster and I have also contacted an Attorney as I have had to rent a car and due to all of the labor.hours put into my car the cost is about $1500. Mind you they did not have to replace ANY of my old parts as they were all working just fine. I am so mad/sad. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Asked by Apr 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM about the 2007 Honda Civic EX

See above. By the way, per the MM at Honda who spoke with Honda America he said that apparently Honda's made after a certain year (sorry I forgot which year he said) were made so that if anything foreign is introduced to the fuel system it will cause cylinders 1 and 4 to misfire no matter what you change or try. The issue literally started about a mile or 2 after I put in about $15 worth of gas at the Mobile in Boynton Beach FL. If I didn't take care of my car then that is one thing but for this to happen is crazy

254,545

I've heard of getting bad gas/water in the fuel. Not specific misfires in certain cylinders. Good Luck with your arbitration.

4,595

so the question i have is, have you filled up your tank elsewhere with the same issue?

No. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I got gas and within less than 5 miles my car was running like crap and the CEL came on. The first Mechanic said that the DX test said that I had misfires in 1 and 4 so of course all of the normal things were done. Then I had to take it to the Dealer because nobody could figure out why the misfires continued. After the Dealer tried everything possible they had to call Honda America, send snapshots of what the car was doing and within minutes they were told by HA that there is water in the fuel and low and behold after checking the fuel pump there was water mixed with the gas. The reason they didn't know for a few days is because there was enough gas to show that the car was getting fuel. According to Honda, water in the fuel will continue showing misfire codes in 1 and 4 even after all other testing is done. Only 1 and 4 will show the misfires. I knew it had to be something with the gas because I take good care of my car and it just seemed odd that right after I got fuel this started. The Adjuster for the Mobile Liability Group called within an hour of my complaint and opened a claim and now has the bill from Honda as I need my car back. So odd. I had never heard of this before it happened to me

355

Always fill at at name brand stations they have to stand behind their brand. 7-11 used Citgo as supplier until 2006 now its probably a cheap refinery being sourced from. However, to be fair it did not have to be the quality of gas tanks underground sweat and the tank could have been tapped beyond the level (there's a point one stops) Did you have your tank totally drained? http://www.ehow.com/how_5042266_remove-water-gasoline.html

I believe they did drain the tank. I only put $15 of gas in the car so I am actually thankful (for once ONLY)that I am a single Mother who lives paycheck to paycheck and couldn't afford to put in anymore than that because I am thinking I could have done a lot more damage had more gas been put in. Just out of curiosity I went online to see if my problem had ever happened in my area and was shocked to find out that a Mobile station about 1/4 mile from the gas station I went to, had the very same thing occur in January where 4 cars that were pretty old were rendered useless and couldn't be repaired . I have retained an Attorney due to the Claims Adjuster never returning my calls and filed a complaint with Consumer Services in Florida which will mediate between my Attorney and Sedgwick (Insurance carrier for all 7-11/Mobile) to come to an agreement on what will be paid. I just want the repair cost and the cost of the rental. The Attorney is merely to get the Adjuster to pick up the phone. I did however receive a letter in the mail from Sedgwick stating to take the letter with my claim information to any service station so that they know how to get their invoice to my Adjuster. Oddest part is the Owner of the station only ever asks me how much the repairs cost anytime I bring up Consumer Affairs.....this is all new to me. Wouldn't have believed it if it didn't happen to me. Kudos to Honda though because not one thing other than what was related to the gas issue had to be replaced. Not even a spark plug. All parts are the original 2007 parts with the exception of the fuel system and the battery that needed to be replaced anyway which I take full responsibility for.

355

This only happened to me once in the 70's and as soon as I realized I had been the recipient of "bad gas" I got under the tank and drained it and the whole incident was over. As I said if the station continues to dispense from a tank to the last drop you will get water and sediment in your tank. This is why at the end of day they measure the levels and once low the pump is shutoff until the tanker arrives and fill it again.

Dex04 made some good points. Water can enter the underground fuel tanks from condensation, rusty tanks or from the tanker truck itself. Gas is filtered and transported much better than years ago, but contamination can still happen. Years ago I worked at a Hess station. At least once a day we put a long wooden stick down into each tank to measure gas level and to check for water and sediment. Water is heavier than gas, so it settles to the bottom. As I remember, we brushed a clear gel on the bottom of the stick. If the gel turned pink, that meant we had water in the tank. An inch or two of water was ok, but 4" meant we had to call someone to pump out the water. Another thing I learned. - Try to avoid a gas station if the tanker truck is delivering fuel. The fresh fuel delivery can stir up water and sediment from the bottom and it takes a while to settle back out.